Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1563210  by excitebike

https://commercialobserver.com/2021/02/ ... ok/#slide4
In the diagram detailing the improvements to Grand Central Terminal as part of the Grand Hyatt replacement, it looks like they are planning to convert part of the lower loop trackway tunnel into a pedestrian passageway to connect the LIRR concourse and the lower MNRR platform level directly to the subway station.
I've always dreamed of being able to arrive on the lower level and then not have to climb up stairs only to have to climb back down again to reach the subway. Time will tell whether this actually comes to fruition of course; we have at least 9 years to wait.
 #1563239  by nomis

Removing potential storage, maybe. However the usage as a lower level Loop Track was destroyed with ESA.
 #1563246  by shadyjay

So, am I the only one thinking this, but is there really a demand for another skyscraper to replace the Grand Hyatt next to GCT? One Vanderbuilt just opened... is it already 100% occupied/leased? Or are they just trying to squeeze every bit of air rights space built? I'm sure NYC will recover and the commuters will return, but how many of them now just work from home? Is the need for all this office space still relevant right now? Or is it a case of "build it and they will come"?

Or, wishful thinking, are they secretly aiming to get rid of the Met Life building? Boy that would be something!
 #1563524  by Jeff Smith

Having never seen the lower loop, I've heard it on here it has a tight clearance, and that trains with passengers were forbidden for that reason. I can't imagine it's use as a walkway; it would be claustrophobic.
 #1563573  by Ridgefielder

shadyjay wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:55 am So, am I the only one thinking this, but is there really a demand for another skyscraper to replace the Grand Hyatt next to GCT? One Vanderbuilt just opened... is it already 100% occupied/leased? Or are they just trying to squeeze every bit of air rights space built? I'm sure NYC will recover and the commuters will return, but how many of them now just work from home? Is the need for all this office space still relevant right now? Or is it a case of "build it and they will come"?

Or, wishful thinking, are they secretly aiming to get rid of the Met Life building? Boy that would be something!
The plans were drawn up pre-COVID. I would not at all be surprised if in the current environment they get scaled back or even cancelled completely.

From an industry report for Q4'20: "11 of the 15 buildings totaling over 3.0 million square feet scheduled to deliver in 2021 [in Manhattan] are 100.0% available."