Railroad Forums 

• Frieght in the CCCT?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#62970  by Sean@Temple

I was talking to a friend of mine today and she swears up and down that her train was held because of a "frieght train" going through the tunnel. I figured that it must have been the wire train or something similar but she claims not. She said that it was not a short train and that the cars were all different and many of them were cylindrical. She aslo said the the conductor of her train called it a frieght and was a little pissed off about it. I still think she must have been mistaken. This all happend supposedly on Saturday.

Sean@Temple
 #62977  by Nacho66

On one occasion, I saw a Septa ballast train of about 25 cars go thru Market East.
It went backwards; caboose first.
This was around 1AM on a Thurs (?) night about 3 years ago.
I know: it wasn't a real freight train, but the sound and exhaust were excellent!
 #62991  by Clearfield

Sean@Temple wrote:I was talking to a friend of mine today and she swears up and down that her train was held because of a "frieght train" going through the tunnel.
If you can find out exactly what train it was (line and scheduled times) there may be a way to find out. Especially since diesels are generally prohibited in the CCCT. Hazmats definitely.
 #63775  by jrevans

John P. Almeida posted some pictures of SEPTA's new, high-pressure, water spraying rig (to clean leaf residue off of the tracks), which looks like a freight train. It isn't a long train though.

Have her look at these pictures:

http://www.trainweb.org/phillynrhs/RPOTD041028.html
 #63848  by oaksmodelrr

Via the scanner, I hear diesels going through the tunnel frequently. Usually it is a move from Wayne Electric to Powelton. Since I only hear the engine number, I don't know but would assume they are mostly light engines.

Diesels are restricted but not banished from the tunnel. Due to exhaust, they are not stopped in the tunnel. I usually hear the dispatcher tell the train to "call me at Portal", the entrance on the Reading side, so that they can arrange a clear route through Market East and Suburban.

#63922  by Matthew Mitchell

IIRC, diesels are permitted in the tunnel only after the entire route is lined by the dispatcher and is clear, so there will be no need to stop.
 #63938  by oaksmodelrr

Sean@Temple wrote:I was talking to a friend of mine today and she swears up and down that her train was held because of a "frieght train" going through the tunnel. I figured that it must have been the wire train or something similar but she claims not. She said that it was not a short train and that the cars were all different and many of them were cylindrical. She aslo said the the conductor of her train called it a frieght and was a little pissed off about it. I still think she must have been mistaken. This all happend supposedly on Saturday.

Sean@Temple
What line was she on? Outbound R8 Fox Chase trains are occasionally held around Wayne when a freight is slow clearing ahead.