Railroad Forums 

• Fremont operations

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #251427  by Johnny F

What happens when CSX or P&W brings a train into Fremont? Is the incoming train's locos uncoupled, leaving the consist on the "incoming" track? Do the locos pick up outbounds from the interchange yard or are they already spotted on the "outgoing" track? Does NYA do any switching at the interchange or are cars dragged down to the yard? Are outgoing cars brought up prior to the arrival of CSX or P&W? You guys get the idea, just want to know what happens where and when. Thanks in advance.

#251627  by phantom

CSX, P&W, and D&H all come into Fremont via 5 main. CSX, our biggest interchange partner, will normally continue west down 1 iron. Provided his train is 90 cars or less, he will cut away his power when he is in the clear. He will run west on 1 iron and return east on 2 iron. He will run east on 5 main to the "swamp switch" and back onto his train which is on 6 main (our CSX outbound interchange track) After his brake test and permission from Oak Point he will head back to the Bronx. D&H comes in the same way and usually ties down on 5 main. One of the yard crews will take the train down the irons and run around it. The D&H crew usually stays overnight and will get on their assembled train on 5 main the following afternoon. P&W trains come in just like the D&H trains. Fremont interchange tracks are as follows: 6 main - CSX; 7 interchange - D&H; 6 interchange - Norfolk Southern. Empty Tilcon and anything else for P&W will usually come into the yard at night and be set up for them for the following morning. Happy to help out a fellow Massapequan!

#251646  by BobLI

Any track plans available for Freemont/Fresh Pond?

#251695  by Johnny F

Phantom, Thanks for the info, exactly what I was curious about. Where are you in Massapequa? I'm north by the preserve. Thanks again.

#251710  by Johnny F

BobLI, the only map I know of is on the Trains are Fun website, Fresh Pond page:

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/fresh% ... nd1958.gif

Phantom, the map cited above is from 1958 and doesn't quite agree with your descriptions. Has the track layout or track names changed over the years? Thanks, John

#251844  by phantom

The map on that website is very accurate. I just came down from walking the CSX outbound and the tracks are still there! The only track missing is 5 interchange which has been out of service. Maybe I was not clear on the dynamics of the switching maneuvers but the physical characteristics of the yard are essentially unchanged.

#252082  by Johnny F

I think a lot of my confusion has to do with the names of the rails - main, iron, etc. Also, the map shows the tracks coming over the bridge as 1 and 2 and you describe the trains coming in on 5 main, etc. Any clarification would be appreciated.

#252227  by phantom

Looking at that map, it does show our 5 main as "1 track" and our 6 main as "2 track." Further west, and off of the map, 5 main joins 6 main. 6 interchange joins 7 interchange also at this point. This one track joins with the lead coming up from Fresh Pond yard and continues west. The two tracks become Pocket/ 4 iron and 2 iron, respectively. 1 iron splits from 2 iron further along. So, west of Fremont proper we end up with, from north to south (railroad), 1iron, 2iron, and 4iron! Bet you're not as confused as some of the new guys that have to negotiate this everyday!

#252346  by Johnny F

Thanks again Phantom,good stuff. I have a feeling that the odd names for the tracks go back to New Haven days. I'm also betting there were a few more tracks in service when hot trains like the Speed Witch came through.

#272127  by LRail

I know this is going to sound foolish, but if traffic should ever increase substantially would Fremont ever be reopened as an active tower?

#272935  by krispy

...And pond and bliss while you're at it. Anything for a Day job :-D

Well, almost anything... :wink:

#310739  by Legio X

I passed by the Fresh Pond yard Tuesday morning. A lot of switching going on, and a lot of rolling stock to be moved in the yard. I could'nt see anything upstairs or any foreign motive power. Looks like business is good.