Railroad Forums 

• Freight on the Bay Ridge Branch

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #648078  by keithsy

Today, I was on E.17th St. s. of Ave. H to hear and see a freight consist. I could not see the power, though. What is the frequency of "service?" This line has a good potential. It could eliminate noisy and dangerous trucks from Brooklyn streets like Caton Ave.
 #648092  by R36 Combine Coach

That's what the Cross Harbor Tunnel is about. A freight shortcut across the bay that would allow to reduce truck traffic in Queens and Brooklyn.
 #648126  by DogBert

NY&A so far as I know runs down the line 2 or 3 days a week. Power was most likely some of there non ASC equipped units. Ex LIRR Sw1001s or that sw1200 if it's still running.
 #648535  by keithsy

Thanks a lot guys. Ironic, the mayor heralded probably that same train. I would like to see some good righteuous general merchandise freight on those tracks.
 #648576  by ncvab

keithsy wrote:Thanks a lot guys. Ironic, the mayor heralded probably that same train. I would like to see some good righteuous general merchandise freight on those tracks.
No, the Mayor was referring to the Bushwick Branch, not the Bay Ridge Branch.

NYAR to CSX and off the island via Hell Gate.
 #648643  by DogBert

Whoops - just posted a similar article. Indeed, it goes out via hell gate.

I walked much of the bay ridge line 2 months ago and it seemed that the majority of the freight is scrap, though favorite plastics still looks busy. 65th street yard was full of empty gons and covered hoppers.
 #648787  by Noel Weaver

As long as there is business on this line it will continue to have local freight service. As a through freight route, it has
absolutely NO future of any kind. Other routes are far more efficient and cheaper to operate. This route would require a
huge expense in upgrading to be a through freight route and this will not happen.
Noel Weaver
 #648855  by jtunnel

Bayridge Yard is currenly being used to store freight cars that are waiting for the economy to rebound. Strings of gondolas and covered hoppers have not moved for months. Guess the NY&A is at least making a few $ for charging "storage fees"

There is a construction supply company that runs a small transload facility next to the DOT Yard in the BAT(Brooklyn Army Terminal) Boxcars of brick and center beams with lumber, a few each week.
 #649155  by jayrmli

Guess the NY&A is at least making a few $ for charging "storage fees"
Doubtful. The gondolas are either being leased by NYAR (so there is no one to charge) or they are privately leased by Gershow Recycling. Gershow has always been known for paying their freight bill on time, but never has paid any storage fees. Since they have been one of their best customers, they are not charged.

The covered hoppers are probably not collecting any storage fees either. Plastics companies use the cars as storage, and it's usually built in to their rate.

Jay
 #658083  by BMT

Thanks a lot guys. Ironic, the mayor heralded probably that same train. I would like to see some good righteuous general merchandise freight on those tracks.
Ha! Actually, there was a RARE NY&A frieght move made on Saturday night on the Bay Ridge right outside NYCT's Linden Yard facility. An ex-LIRR hack, C-60, was delivered to SBK for transport to the Transit Museum for the upcoming 175th Anniversary of the LIRR. An extensive exhibit will be held at the old Court Street Station in Downtown Brooklyn, with the hack on the platform on display as a centerpiece until next year.

The C-60 is on loan from the Twin Forks Chapter of the NRHS based out of Riverhead.

BTW, after about a month of PC problems (including password access problems with this site).....I'm BAAAAACK! :-D
 #678076  by MNR's #1 Conductor

DogBert wrote:NY&A so far as I know runs down the line 2 or 3 days a week. Power was most likely some of there non ASC equipped units. Ex LIRR Sw1001s or that sw1200 if it's still running.
The train you all refer to here is a job based out of Fresh Pond, if I am not mistaken is on duty sometime between 1600 and 1800, run RS-301/302.
 #678077  by MNR's #1 Conductor

jayrmli wrote:
Guess the NY&A is at least making a few $ for charging "storage fees"
Doubtful. The gondolas are either being leased by NYAR (so there is no one to charge) or they are privately leased by Gershow Recycling. Gershow has always been known for paying their freight bill on time, but never has paid any storage fees. Since they have been one of their best customers, they are not charged.

The covered hoppers are probably not collecting any storage fees either. Plastics companies use the cars as storage, and it's usually built in to their rate.

Jay
When I used to work the L Line in my NYCT days, often in the afternoon and evening Gershow Recycling in Brownsville, Brooklyn, was at work loading up gondolas, also recycling every metal thing imaginable that5 can be ground and recycled, from what look liked appliance to cars and trucks. I wonder if the old LIRR caboose is still there along with the 2 derailed boxcars (standard and open top).
 #678079  by MNR's #1 Conductor

DogBert wrote:NY&A so far as I know runs down the line 2 or 3 days a week. Power was most likely some of there non ASC equipped units. Ex LIRR Sw1001s or that sw1200 if it's still running.
Heard that SW1200 you refer too is long gone, as is the ex-Conrail GP. The SW1001s and from time to time the GP38-2s go down the line there. Even if they have ASC, they can go down there, because the engineer can simply shut off the ASC when working the line, much as how MNR engines equipped with ATC, where the engineers can flip a breaker or switch to shut the ATC cab signal off when operating on the "dark" (no wayside or cab signals) Danbury and Waterbury Branches as well as the Beacon Line, and flip it back on when entering back into ATC Cab Signal System territory.