Railroad Forums 

• Freight Car Scrapping Utica Yard

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#921762  by ut-1

I noticed a string of older freight cars located in the NYS&W yard while I was traveling past the freight house a few days ago. Present were two boxcars of different lengths (both in PC green w/o PC markings), two ancient NYS&W stone hoppers and a wood chip car. When I travelled by the same location yesterday, observed that three of the cars (the smaller boxcar, a hopper & the wood chip car) had seemingly been moved. Then, much to my surprise, observed scrapping activity afoot. One end of a crushed boxcar was clearly visible while, nearby, man and machine were busy at work (the machine was picking up and dropping a car's trucks) It was an interesting scene, especially since I was unaware that this kind of work was occurring in Utica.
 #922982  by dano23

Quite a few of the old BAR woodchip cars had been shipped up to Lowell, MA for scrapping a few months ago.
 #922985  by thebigham

That storage line had 19 or so of those cars.

I'm glad they will be gone. Those cars always blocked my view of the NYS&W enginehouse when I traveled through Utica on Amtrak.
 #927808  by ut-1

Viewed from the nearby overpass, it appears all of the woodchip cars are gone (although, however, other freight cars are occupying the tracks on which the woodchip cars had previously been spotted). As of today, moreover, no evidence of salvaging exists near or around the spur depicted in my photos. The area is now as clean as a hound's tooth.
 #957323  by Otto Vondrak

I passed through on Amtrak last week, and I saw RDC 11 (New Haven 37, later Amtrak 11 and Metro-North 11) was gutted, off its trucks, with only the shell of the body and frame left. I take it it's not going out for rehab...

-otto-