Railroad Forums 

• Freehold Station

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#37599  by kevikens

On Thurs. I drove through Freehold and spotted what was obviously a fromer train station which may now be a bus station. Took some shots and started wondering if trains ever pass this station. The pictures would look better if there were a train in the background. Can any NJ Rail Fan tell me if and when any train would go past the station ? Thanks. PS There were a whole buch of guys hanging around the station and in the parking lot. When I took my cameras out of my bag to take the pictures everyone started running and hiding their faces. What was that all about ?
 #37646  by wis bang

They are illegals; the station area is where the 'dayworkers' hang out waiting for a landscaper, or other employer needing day labor. It's been in the newspapers as they were trying to eliminate this practice & it's been in court w/ the ACLU...wish they would stick up for us once in a while...Part of this line is out of service, but I'm not sure where.

#37661  by sullivan1985

My father used to work for White Rose Dairy and he used to deliver to a store that was rip on 7-11 called 6-12. Its right across the street from the old station and I used to see all those illegals sitting around waiting for work.

While there I saw a conrail loco pull through by itself going very very slow. Thats was about 5 years ago.

#37680  by Jtgshu

That line is in service at that location, its the freehold secondary - just a block or two in is a lumber yard adn they frequently have cars sitting there. The line is OOS about 2 or 3 miles east of downtown Freehold, just past the Koslowski Rd. Xing i believe to Farmingdale.

About 2 or 3 years ago, a lady in a jeep was hit by a train and her jeep went through the front of the florist right there at the xing...

#37683  by NY&LB

That station is the PRR station, the CNJ station is much nicer, follow the PRR EAST find Jackson st and Mechanic St and you'll find the CNJ station, last time I was there it was part of a feed company called Holland Farms. The two lines had a connection back there. The CNJ line is the Freehold Branch to Matawan, still a contender for M-O-M.

#37684  by nolifeCRchaser

It seems as though the SA31 would run on the Freehold Secondary on a monday, wednesday, or friday. The only business past the station is Prestone and I have not seen them down there since 2003.
I rememeber when the woman in the Cherokee was hit by the train and her Jeep went into the front of the florist shop. They had to demolish that building and rebuild it, due to the extent of the damage. Her excuse was that she was in a hurry to get the kids to soccer practice or something and the train was suppossed to stop for her.

#37806  by sullivan1985

Jtgshu wrote:That line is in service at that location, its the freehold secondary - just a block or two in is a lumber yard adn they frequently have cars sitting there. The line is OOS about 2 or 3 miles east of downtown Freehold, just past the Koslowski Rd. Xing i believe to Farmingdale.

About 2 or 3 years ago, a lady in a jeep was hit by a train and her jeep went through the front of the florist right there at the xing...
YEAH!! my dad saw that happen. It dragged here right into the narrow ally between the buildings and dragged it right into the building!

#37969  by OCtrainguy

I could be wrong, but I think Prestone may be seasonal. You may see cars being delivered there in the late fall perhaps.

Currently, where would the SA31 run around their train in Freehold?

#37980  by 1st Barnegat

There is a passing siding on Throckmorton St. (County Rte. 522) just west of the lumberyard there. Perhaps some of the pros can tell us how many cars it holds.

The station itself is former PRR, now fenced off. NJT Bus 139 stops in the parking lot there on weekends to take passengers to and from NYC. (On weekdays 139 runs straight up Rte. 9 presumably to save time).

The last passenger train there was in 1962. It was the one westbound and one eastbound PRR doodlebug that ran from the Red Band yard of the CNJ, to Long Branch, to Sea Girt, through Allenwood, crossed the CNJ Southern Division at Farmingdale, through Freehold itself, and through Englishtown, Jamesburg, and Monmouth Jct. to Trenton.

The Black River and Western Railroad has a PRR doodlebug, so you can imagine what it might have been like in Freehold 42 years ago. See link. http://prr.railfan.net/photos/WayneSand ... 03_083.jpg

Freight still goes by there on occasion to the chemical plant. I also believe antifreeze is a seasonal business - it becomes more expensive in the fall.

When it is built, MOM will either go by the ex-PRR station toward Jamesburg, or go by the ex-CNJ station to Matawan. (Or miss Freehold completely, if the Red Bank route is chosen).

The OOS section is between the locations on ConRail employee timetables known as ART and TOTH.

Some kind of flange-wheel vehicle seems to go through the OOS section now and then, there are occasional flange wheel marks in the grade crossings. Anyone know what kind of vehicle that could be? And if it is an inspection vehicle, how often would it run?
Last edited by 1st Barnegat on Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#38039  by njt5140

sullivan1985 wrote:a store that was rip on 7-11 called 6-12. Its right across the street from the old station and I used to see all those illegals sitting around waiting for work.
It's spelled 7-ELEVEN, just putting '7-11' is the invalid way, lol! 6-12's are invalid also, (bad coffee and terrible selection for newspapers) they're mainly in the Phili area and if I recall there's some further south toward Baltimore and Washington DC. About the poster children for the INS, I've seen other groups of them hanging out at the 7-Eleven by the Matawan train station.
 #38342  by redbaron3067

I spotted SA31 with 7 cars (2 lumber 2 tank 3 covered hoppers) heading eastbound about 6:15 pm through Englishtown on 7/19. I believe Prestone also gets plastic pellets to make containers for the antifreeze. Also Clayton has a redi-mix plant in Freehold near the old CNJ station that will get occasional deliveries of bulk cement.