Railroad Forums 

• FRA track certifications?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#515177  by JJMDiMunno

Hey everyone,
This is about the best forum I can find to post this question...

Is there any way that I can find out what FRA class level a particular segment of track is certified to? Is that public information that I can obtain from the FRA?

How would I obtain that, if it is?

Thanks,
Mike DiMunno

#515199  by DutchRailnut

Its not usually public information, the FRA does not certify the track speed they only verify techinical(inspections) end of it.
The railroad and its track dept set trackspeed based on federal standards.

#515260  by clearblock

I believe railroads are only required to notify the FRA if track is designated or removed from "excepted" status. Designation of class 1-5 is at the railroad's discretion, subject to FRA standards, as Dutch said in his reply.

If an FRA inspector finds track does not comply with the designated class, the FRA can order a lower class and speed restrictions and the railroad must notify the FRA when repairs are completed to restore the original class (49CFR216.15)

#515405  by scharnhorst

I'll start off that this info that I am provideing may be out dated by now but this is from a book that I have dated for 11/1/1982 for the U.S. Department of Transportation. Track Safty Standards FRA Office of Safety.

Class of Track ranges from 1-6. 6 being top notch high speed track 1 being vary poor.

ok tracks under class 1-3 status Main track & Sideings.
according to the FRA require them to be inspected weekly with in at leased 3 calendar day intervals between inspections, or before use, if track is used less than once a week, or twice weekly with at lesed 1 calendar day interval between inspections, if track carries passenger trains or more than 10 million gross tons of traffic during the calendar year.

tracks under class 1-3 status outher than main track & sideings are to be inspected Monthly with at lesed 20 calender days interval between inspections.

tracks under 4-6 status require inspections twice weekly with at least 1 calender day interval between inspections.

Class of track operating speed limits:
Class 1 track Freight 10mph / Passenger 15mph
class 2 track Freight 25mph / Passenger 30mph
class 3 track Freight 40mph / Passenger 60mph
class 4 track Freight 60 mph / Passenger 80mph
class 5 track Freight 80mph / Passenger 90mph
class 6 track Freight 110mph / Passenger 110mph

A railroad must inform the FRA if the track speed on a section of railroad is going to be risen or lowered in order to get Exemptions. The railroad how ever must however mantain a minamum maintaince program on that section of track as well in order to keep it in safe operating condtion.

#515418  by JJMDiMunno

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm mostly curious concerning what class a particular segment of track is certified to. I do know that this track is certified to some FRA class, and I believe it to be 2, but would like to confirm this. Mostly was looking to see if there was some sort of database that was maintained, which lists the certified level for particular segments of track...I wasn't confident, but thought maybe...

Many thanks guys.

Mike DiMunno

Re:

#556059  by 130MM

JJMDiMunno wrote:Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm mostly curious concerning what class a particular segment of track is certified to. I do know that this track is certified to some FRA class, and I believe it to be 2, but would like to confirm this. Mostly was looking to see if there was some sort of database that was maintained, which lists the certified level for particular segments of track...I wasn't confident, but thought maybe...

Many thanks guys.

Mike DiMunno
There is no certification process. When a railroad operates a line there must be a set of operating rules, and part of those rules will be a Maximum Authorized Speed. This is most often found in the employee timetable covering that portion of track. This speed determines the Class of Track.

When an FRA Track Safety Inspector conducts an inspection on a track, he always asks what the speed of track is. There is no database of tracks and classes.

DAW