Railroad Forums 

• Four ALP44s not on the Lackawanna Cutoff

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1469685  by Matt_S

Visited the ALP44 lineup (for strictly photography based purposes) on the Lackawanna Cutoff this last weekend, and found that four examples; 4421, 4424, 4429, and 4430, were not there with the rest of the roster. After a short search on Google Maps, I was able to locate them, appearing to still be at the Meadowlands yard. Does anyone know the status of these four and why they weren't stored with the rest? Are they being stored serviceable for MOW or backup purposes?
 #1469733  by trainster78

These four are the only ALP-44s that are not stripped down, and are completely operational (minus SEPTA 2308). From what I hear they were supposed to return to service for Morristown Direct services. I don’t know how accurate the second part is, but the first part I confirmed myself.
 #1469761  by R36 Combine Coach

trainster78 wrote:These four are the only ALP-44s that are not stripped down, and are completely operational (minus SEPTA 2308). From what I hear they were supposed to return to service for Morristown Direct services.
Might have something to do with the ALP44s unable to handle the heavy load of Multilevels.
 #1470190  by sullivan1985

They're stored in the MMC completely intact. They haven't turned a wheel in years. Nobody can provide a straight answer as to what the plan is Rumor suggested they were the "floor models" for selling the rest of the fleet off. Others suggested they are a backup plan for the inevitable retirement of the Arrow IIIs on the Gladstone Branch.

At this point anybody's guess is good enough.