Railroad Forums 

• Former Employee Search:

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1407921  by History37

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums, but was curious to see if anyone here happens to remember a former employee who used to work for the Portland Terminal Railroad Company - now Pan Am Railways - by the name Mr. Fred R. Dodge, by chance? The late Mr. Dodge passed away back in February of 1994 and the reason why I am posting was because we're doing some genealogy. In short, Mr. Dodge was also an antiques dealer / collector and my family now has in our collection an item that he once owned. To help build our provenance up, I was simply curious if anyone may remember him as a form of 'character witness.' A long shot posting this, I know, but just thought that I would give it a try. I'll also see if I can post this note under other threads with the hope that we'll get a hit. Anyhow, 'thank you' for your time and hoping to hear something from someone.

Sincerely and all the best,
Aaron
 #1408003  by BostonUrbEx

Any idea how long he worked for the railroad and did he work for the railroad up until his passing in 1994? Some folks may be able to ask the old timer railroaders if they remember him, but they may not if his time was brief.
Last edited by BostonUrbEx on Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1408014  by History37

Thank you for your reply!

Based on our notes, he had worked there for quite some time indeed (but, I'm trying to find out the exact dates). And, yes, he worked there pretty close up to when he passed in 1994 as he passed rather young - only in his 50s. I'm hoping to learn more within the coming week, but thought that I would try and get a head-start here just in case the name rings a bell with folks.

Thank you again as I look forward to chatting again soon.
Aaron
 #1408046  by jwhite07

If you are looking for the individual's railroad service dates, the Railroad Retirement Board may be helpful (for a fee, of course):

https://www.rrb.gov/mep/genealogy.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That would at least give you a date range reference for anyone on these forums who might have been a Maine Central/Portland Terminal/Guilford/Pan Am employee around the same time (there aren't a lot, but probably a few here on these forums). Note that I've never had reason to try this service myself, so I don't know how long it would take or what the success rate is, and do not know how forthcoming the RRB may be with inquiries coming from individuals not actually related to the person in question. One of the pieces of information they ask for to help them streamline their search is the individual's SSN, which I assume you do not have.