• Fore River Transportation (FRVT) / Braintree Yard

  • Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

  • 111 posts
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 8
  by NotImpressed83
 
I'm glad that everyone here seems to enjoy these trains...BUT...they are the most obnoxious things EVER! Being a resident of south st....these trains are a complete nuisance and are constantly blaring the horns and constantly crashing into one another with the sound of metal grinding against metal from literally 8am-5pm and sometimes even on frickin Sundays. I would have no problem if they just ceased to exist. For residents in the area, these trains are completely annoying and the fact that they just blare the horns for no apparent reason (there are NO crossings that would require the horns to be blared ALL OF THE TIME!) seriously sucks. I'm looking into contacting the proper individuals to make a formal noise complaint about these trains. They suck.
  by MEC407
 
Here we go again.

I'll respond with the standard, time-honored classic: "Why did you move next to the railroad if you hate the sounds of trains?"

It's like moving next to a pig farm and complaining about the smell.
  by Cosmo
 
NotImpressed83 wrote:I'm glad that everyone here seems to enjoy these trains...BUT...they are the most obnoxious things EVER! Being a resident of south st....these trains are a complete nuisance and are constantly blaring the horns and constantly crashing into one another with the sound of metal grinding against metal from literally 8am-5pm and sometimes even on frickin Sundays. I would have no problem if they just ceased to exist. For residents in the area, these trains are completely annoying and the fact that they just blare the horns for no apparent reason (there are NO crossings that would require the horns to be blared ALL OF THE TIME!) seriously sucks. I'm looking into contacting the proper individuals to make a formal noise complaint about these trains. They suck.
Hi "Notimpressed."
I must say that I for one am NOT "impressed" by your trolling post in this thread.
May I remind you that if it were not for those "annoying" trains in your area, there would be LESS jobs and LESS tax revenue in your area.
As for the "noise complaint," good luck. Since they're obviously ceasing and desisting their noise from 5pm until 8am, thus allowing most of your neighborhood to sleep peacefully during those hours, then I'd wager you've not much of a legal leg to stand on.
What's more, even if you grew up right there on South St, I can GUARANTEE those trains were there FIRST!
Those tracks have been active since before WW2. They were hauling steel into the shipyards to build the battleships that won that war. They never ceased operating. This is not some new thing.
Oh, but ok, let's do that, let's force the RR to close, send away the jobs and the tax base because YOU think "trains suck."
Good luck with that.
  by chrisnewhaven
 
You want to put in a noise complaint, fine. So then, your local government will stop the trains from operating during the day, and you'll have to put up with all the noise at night! :) One problem leads to another, just put up with it (or move somewhere else).
C.J.V.
  by BayColony1706
 
Why should a railroad that was there before you were even thought of conform to your NIMBY ideals? NO SYMPATHY here. Don't like 'em? Get ear plugs or move away from the active rail.
  by Badandy
 
BayColony1706 wrote:Why should a railroad that was there before you were even thought of conform to your NIMBY ideals? NO SYMPATHY here. Don't like 'em? Get ear plugs or move away from the active rail.

AND STOP USING SOAP!!!!! (that's what the make there) Andy
  by BostonUrbEx
 
NotImpressed83 wrote:I'm glad that everyone here seems to enjoy these trains...BUT...they are the most obnoxious things EVER! Being a resident of south st....these trains are a complete nuisance and are constantly blaring the horns and constantly crashing into one another with the sound of metal grinding against metal from literally 8am-5pm and sometimes even on frickin Sundays. I would have no problem if they just ceased to exist. For residents in the area, these trains are completely annoying and the fact that they just blare the horns for no apparent reason (there are NO crossings that would require the horns to be blared ALL OF THE TIME!) seriously sucks. I'm looking into contacting the proper individuals to make a formal noise complaint about these trains. They suck.

Well, for one, I have to ask when you sleep if a horn from 8am-5pm is really so bothersome. I'm willing to bet the vast majority has no problem with this time frame. Many people have to live with odd hour operations.

And, as everyone else said, why did you move there if there's trains there and you don't like trains?

Also, they need to blow their horns per regulations and railroad rules. Why? Because the not so mentally apt like yourself might get hit doing something stupid.
  by Badandy
 
BostonUrbEx wrote:
NotImpressed83 wrote:I'm glad that everyone here seems to enjoy these trains...BUT...they are the most obnoxious things EVER! Being a resident of south st....these trains are a complete nuisance and are constantly blaring the horns and constantly crashing into one another with the sound of metal grinding against metal from literally 8am-5pm and sometimes even on frickin Sundays. I would have no problem if they just ceased to exist. For residents in the area, these trains are completely annoying and the fact that they just blare the horns for no apparent reason (there are NO crossings that would require the horns to be blared ALL OF THE TIME!) seriously sucks. I'm looking into contacting the proper individuals to make a formal noise complaint about these trains. They suck.

Well, for one, I have to ask when you sleep if a horn from 8am-5pm is really so bothersome. I'm willing to bet the vast majority has no problem with this time frame. Many people have to live with odd hour operations.

And, as everyone else said, why did you move there if there's trains there and you don't like trains?

Also, they need to blow their horns per regulations and railroad rules. Why? Because the not so mentally apt like yourself might get hit doing something stupid.
Look how close the homes and businesses are to the ROW. I can see how some of the NIMBYs would be poed

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20120 ... 103545.jpg

Andy
  by Cosmo
 
Badandy wrote:ps they do blow for each crossing.
Yeah, they have to. It's the LAW.
  by steamer69
 
Unless there is a quiet zone put into place (or one there all ready....I don't know....) in which case the horn DOES NOT have to be sounded. Also, it's not law that it be sounded at every crossing, it only has to be sounded at posted public crossings (unless the state has a law that includes posted and non posted crossings like CA and MT). See GCOR, NORAC, and the FRA guidance.
  by NErailfan
 
If you think that photo is bad, you should see how close the commuter rail rolls behind some houses in Cohassett!!

Again the ROW has been there for years. And Fore River's tracks have ALWAYS been there! Imagine how it used to be when the railroad was much busier!!!

P.S. Andy do you work for them?
  by Badandy
 
NErailfan wrote:If you think that photo is bad, you should see how close the commuter rail rolls behind some houses in Cohassett!!

Again the ROW has been there for years. And Fore River's tracks have ALWAYS been there! Imagine how it used to be when the railroad was much busier!!!

P.S. Andy do you work for them?
No......I work(not rail related) with an engineer on the spare board on the RR. I was invited to "ride" one Sunday so I did.
The crew (3,an engineer,conductor and brakeman)were gracious and friendly and I was invited back. For those of you interested,
this is a 7 day a week operation. I thought I saw this question asked in an earlier post. So if you want to follow this operation
on a weekend, you can. All in all, a great day! Wish I had a wide angle lense with me tho. Andy
  by F-line to Dudley via Park
 
BostonUrbEx wrote:Is it just as active on weekends, or does it slow down?
Treatment plant operates 7 days a week, so they produce the same carloads worth of waste on the weekend. I don't think the sewage plant's capacity throttles back at all.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 8