Railroad Forums 

• fmr CNJ stations of the RVL

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#169224  by NJTRailfan

The stations on the RVL that NJT abandoned in Hampton and Glen Gardner, What do they look like? Are they the size of the Dover Station on the M&E Line? does anyone have any pictures? What about the station called Ludlow/Bloomsbury. Does anyone have pics of that one as well? Ca nanyone el lme if that's as big at the Dover Station. Thanks.

Are any of these stations still standing?

#169237  by transit383

The book Railroads of New Jersey, by Richard Hyer and John Zec had a pic of a CNJ GP-7 passing the Ludlow-Asbury Station. I'm almost positive the book lists it as Ludlow-Asbury, but is it Ludlow Asbury or Ludlow Bloomsbury like NJTRailfan states?

In any case, from the pic which was taken in the 70s, the station seemed rather tiny, something along the lines of Bradley Beach or Raritan.
 #169295  by Ken W2KB

NJTRailfan wrote:The stations on the RVL that NJT abandoned in Hampton and Glen Gardner, What do they look like? Are they the size of the Dover Station on the M&E Line? does anyone have any pictures? What about the station called Ludlow/Bloomsbury. Does anyone have pics of that one as well? Ca nanyone el lme if that's as big at the Dover Station. Thanks.
Are any of these stations still standing?
None are standing. Gone for decades.

#169336  by Irish Chieftain

Another one gone for decades is Middlesex Borough.

#169376  by TGIV

the station at ludlow was a stone building a little small than Whitehous sta. Hampton was a wooden building about 500 ft west of the rt 31 overpass. Annandale had a wooden building about where the bus shelter is. Glen Gardner was a small wooden open front shelter. I think they were all torn down in the late seventies or early eighties. There was also a very nice old station at Grant ave in PLainfeild torn down after a fire.
 #169492  by CAR_FLOATER

My suggestion is check out the book by Ben Bernhart titled "Historic Jouneys By Rail - Central RR Of NJ Stations, Structure, and Marine Equipment", and you see all the stations. you seek.

C.F.

#169942  by JLo

While not on the CNJ/RVL proper, the Califon station on the High Bridge branch on Rt 512 still stands and is the Califon town museum. It's open every 1st and 3rd Sunday of the month from 1 to 3 p.m.

#169945  by NJTRailfan

You know if soem of these towns have a historical society with power who can bring in grants they could be able to secure enough cash to to hel prebuild these stations. They weren't that big at al land if you are correct the largest one was 2/3rds the size of White House. I'm sure the residents of Ludlow/Asbury would love to have a struture like that back in town that could receive rail service. If the plans are still around it wouldn't take much to secure buildign materials like wood, nails,etc from Home Depot, a rock quary(for the Ludlow Station where you can easily find the kind of stones that station had, NJ definantly has plenty of those) and have contractors who are willing to donate time and cash in the form of tax write offs in return to help restore a small piece of History. Certaintly NYP couldn't be bought back nor can the old CNJ lift bridges but atleast these small stations in Hampton, Ludlow/Asbury can be.

I did read about a story in the Star Ledger on how a historical committee, volunteers from various contracting companies,rail buffs and fmr railroad employees got together and resotred a smal lwooden station alogn the NYSW and otoally restored a train station slated for demolition and was decalred unsafe but only to bring it back fro mthe dead within a year maybe 2. But I think I read a comment where they were prepared to even rebuild it for mthe ground up sicne they plans and old pics were still around of the old wooden station. Looked alot liek the size soemone described of the old Hampton Station but the canopies looked long enough to cover a 4-6 car train and trhere was a classic wroght iron fence to add as a barrier between the paltform and the ROW.

I hope the people of Ludow/Asbury,Annandale and Hampton can do the same.

Not too sure if the folks of Glenn Gardner would go throug hthat just to rebuild a structure the size of a present day bus shelter the size of the ones NJT uses for their buses at their P/Rs.

What would be greater then if NJT restores service to these 3 towns along the RVL and these stations were used in passenger service. Unfortioantly it would look like that they wouldn't see weekend service for awhile and the ROW is only single tracked but it's better then nothing esp since passengers that would take a train from these stations would go stright into Newark Penn.

#170400  by Ken W2KB

>>>contractors who are willing to donate time and cash in the form of tax write offs in return to help restore a small piece of History<<<

One cannot take a tax deduction for donating time, only for actual out of pocket expenditure of funds, and even there for every dollar donated, one gets at most 40 cents in tax savings, so it's difficult to attract volunteers.

On the other hand, a stone mason and other contractors looking for 'free' advertising, might be willing to pitch in. Mostly projects like this need one or two local individuals who are willing to take the lead and keep on promoting the project through completion.

As an interesting sidenote, the constructuion CNJ Califon Station mentioned above was funded by the locals, not the CNJ.