Railroad Forums 

• Florida Question

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#335266  by PVRX1

Hi,

I read a while back that the Pinsly RR Group (Florida Central) was going to take over a bunch of railroad around Hot Springs, Dunellon, etc. Never heard anymore about it, if it happened, power involved, etc.

Did the transaction go thru or did it pass?

Also, unrelated, There is a CSX branch from Sanford to Oviedo. Is this still in tact and how is it traffic wise.

Thanks
Jim

#335346  by crazy_nip

The Pinsley Florida Northern Ry has a lease on what was the CSX west coast subdivision from Newberry to end of track somewhere just south of Gulf Junction and the Red Level subdivision from Gulf Junction to Red Level. They also operate what was part of the dupont subdivision from newberry to end of track at High Springs including what is left of high springs yard.

They operate (with CSX run through power) the almost daily unit coal trains from newberry to the Red Level power plant.

I lived in this area for almost 10 years, moving back to Tampa in 2001. At the time I left, there was the unit coal train to red level (almost) daily and a local out of baldwin yard that would service the west coast and deerhaven (gainesville) subdivisions. Usually the local would only go as far as Alachua (Lake Burnett in the timetables), or Newberry. There was a large cement plant built in the mid 90's that got quite a bit of rail in and out aggregate, portland cement and the like, but that was about it.

In high springs, there was exactly ONE customer left. A PVC pipe manufacturer that recieved about one covered hopper of plastic pellets every week or 2. The "yard", which at one time was one of the biggest on the ACL system, was basically a single spur track which ended in the weeds somewhere. It is amazing how this yard has changed from just 20 years ago. At one time, this was a bustling yard with a large shop complex. The dupont sub was a "back door" in and out of Waycross for Florida trains, a nice way to bypass Jacksonville.

There was little or no online traffic between newberry and end of track, maybe one customer left in williston or dunellon.

The unit coal train is the ONLY thing keeping this line still operating.

I have not been up there in years, but there is nothing to make me think anything has changed.

The line from sanford to oviedo is still there, runs as necessary. I think there is one customer left near the end of track.

Sanford is another interesting ex-railroad town that is now just an afterthought.

#335997  by PVRX1

Thank you for the answers. The Pinsly deal was one of those things you hear about and then suddenly nothing more said. Do they have an engine their for any local work or do they just borrow the run thru power.

I haven't been down to that area in a few years. Last time I was around there, I found FCEN CF7 50 at Ocala and nothing but a Conrad Yelvington loco at Wildwood. In fact the Pinsly line at Wildwood appeared to be unused.

Jim
 #336695  by Ocala Mike

We still have Florida Central operations in Ocala, and they have their own engine(s). One of their tracks crosses the CSX "S" line right at the Ocala station (no longer an Amtrak stop), and continues south down the middle of a well-used street downtown. I sometimes get stopped at the grade crossing on Silver Springs Blvd. waiting for a morning "move" to go by.

Ocala Mike

#336886  by paulrail

Pinsly also owns the "Pioneer Valley RR" which is headquartered in Westfield MA. They serve the businesses in local towns in the area and even run up to Holyoke MA, which is a pretty good distance for them. They did also run up to Easthampton MA, but I'm not sure if they still do. They also have a bulk handling terminal at Westfield.

I know they have 3 CF-7s painted in a red body ith black rtripes and yellow lettering. Nice looking!

http://www.pvrr.com/

Paul

#337231  by D.Carleton

Back in June I had a chance to drive from the home office in Dunnellon to Mississippi and took the opportunity to visit the remains of the West Coast Sub. It was cross between visiting the terminally ill and a grave site. When I heard Florida Northern would be taking over local operations on the sub my thoughts immediately went to the charcoal plant just north of Romeo. They had problems getting service from CSX after the line was truncated. However, as I drove by it became a case of too little too late; the plant was shuddered with a For Sale sign. Just south of the junction in Newberry I did find a red CF-7; I'd have to consult my pictures to recall the number. Nip is correct, the main reason for being of the West Coast Sub, as well as the Perry Cutoff, was to bypass Jacksonville. The wisdom of removing these lines has been discussed at length already in cyberspace. However, let me tell you, there was nothing like pacing four motor U-boats in a Trans Am on highway 41.

#344580  by ACLfan2

Nip, just to update your post.

CSX's Sanford - Oviedo is half-gone.

The eastern half of the line (between Winter Springs - Oviedo) was abandoned around 5 years ago.

The County has received Fed and State $$, and has converted the railroad grade to a Rails-to-Trails project between the end of track at Oviedo and Winter Springs.
They did build a Trail overpass across the 4 lanes of SR 434, rather than use a dangerous at-grade crossing.

There are still two dependable customers at the current end of track on the north side of Winter Springs (known as "Wagner"), so the remainder of the line should remain for awhile.

Take care and best wishes!

ACLfan2
 #347922  by etna9726b

If it's ok with you guys, can I morph this thread into a question on the Wildwood Sub upgrades ?

I was wondering what the increase in volume will be when trains are transferred over from Orlando? I have relatives in Zephyrhills, and I suspect their town will soon hear and see more activity.

Thx,
etna

#347953  by crazy_nip

The current CSX "s-line" is actually an ex-ACL line through zephryhills runs outside of town, so they wont really notice, even now, there is not much built up around this area

From trilby to vitis jct, the SAL and ACL mainlines were fairly close to each other (within a few miles) and even crossed each other at grade a time or 2.

The SAL went THROUGH cities such as Dade City and Zephryhills, whereas the ACL skirted them, with their stations being on the outskirts of town (especially zephryhills).

After the merger, the SAL mainline was abandoned and removed south of trilby / lachoche (I think the timetable called thsi place owensboro, fl), and they used the ACL mainline until it reconnected with the SAL south of vitis jct on what used to be the vitis to tampa branch through thonotosassa

#366282  by adamdmd

How often does the CSX Local serve Gainesville (Deerhaven)? I used to live in Gainesville and saw a local a couple of times heading back towards Burnett's Lake around 5:30PM. Those times have been the only times I have ever seen trains on this branch--the closest I've gotten lately was yesterday when the crossing on 39th Ave was stuck activated. I grabbed a pic w/ my phone. I know the only customers are a creosote plant, a brick company, and something else. It looks as if the 84 Lumber Plant has a siding, or maybe the remnants of one.

Also, does anybody have any pictures of some of the SCL/ACL tracks in Gainesville when they were in place? I found very little in the Gainesville newspaper. I VAGUELY remember the Gainesville-Airbase line that paralelled SR 24 after a wye at Depot road. Never saw a train there, and I believe the line was gone by 1985. Actually ate at the Iron Horse Restaurant that was on the corner of Waldo Rd. and University when its claim to fame was being located on that line. Now it's a Walgreen's....
 #409219  by csxt123

I just stumbled upon this site in a google search, so if anybody that asked these ?'s is still around, here you go.
I live just south of Williston, 5 miles off of FNOR's coal line. They run 1-2 trains a day from Newberry to Crystal River with csx ac44's or sd70's. This line is a 24hr a day operation. The HQ is at Williston. If any vehicles are in the depot lot at the US 27 crossing, other than the 2 Pinsly chevys, they're on duty. The local power is FMID 65, a CF-7 based at Newberry. They currently run to High Springs on Mo & TH around noon. There are 2 customers, a feed place with covered hoppers, and a tank car operation, maybe corn syrup. The only traffic in Newberry is an as needed feed transloading plant west of town on the old FWCR line. South of Newberry, other than coal, is a mine that gets fly ash once a month or so, right next to the power plant at C-River. I got lucky to catch 65 bring 4 cars up form this operation tonight in Newberry!
As for Gainesville, they were running Tu & Th around 7pm but the last few months, this seems to not be the case, as I caught the local (A765), down at Fl Rock in Newberry on a Th night. The customers are Harwood brick, Koppers(telephone poles), 84 lumber, Conrad Yelvington(bulk rock)
and The GRU Deerhaven power plant. Both Conrad and Gru get their cars in unit trains operated seperate from the local, usually powered by Dash 8's or Ac 44's. GRU gets this coal train once a week.

#409249  by adamdmd

csxt123--thank you for the reply. I grew up around the area and have vague memories of all the former SCL/ACL lines in Gainesville before they got ripped up in 1985. Then again in the late 90s. I see the trains run through Starke at the head of the Brooker Sub. 99% of those trains are the coal trains. The others are either very short intermodals or engine movements.
So the train only runs into Gainesville 2 nights a week? I'll have to try to get out there and catch one.
Several years ago, I caught 2 leaving Gainesville around 5:30 or 6. The closest thing I have seen recently is a set of 2 parked engines a little north of 34th St and 441.
 #409357  by Ocala Mike

Hey, csxt123, we are practically neighbors! I live just off US27 near Fellowship/Blitchton in Marion County. Maybe we ought to meet at the Hilltop Diner in Williston for breakfast some day. My wife goes to the doctor there (Nature Coast Medical Group).
 #409520  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Ocala Mike wrote:Hey, csxt123, we are practically neighbors! I live just off US27 near Fellowship/Blitchton in Marion County. Maybe we ought to meet at the Hilltop Diner in Williston for breakfast some day. My wife goes to the doctor there (Nature Coast Medical Group).
next time please PM someone if you want to get together and railfan with someone, unless it involves the group
 #410120  by csxt123

Those engines parked by 121 and 441 come off of the unit rock train for Conrad Yelvington, they drop off the cars and evidently , park the power.Another interesting Gainesville Train item is the power that Conrad has at their facility to move the cars past the unloader/loader. A GP-9 in full Atlantic Coast Line paint. This engine, according to a friend of mine, used to be in Jacksonville and Trenton. It is #100. A beatiful job was done on repainting this engine, complete with oversized ACL logo on the high hood. The engine is clearly visible from the gate to the C-Yelv facility off of 441, just south of the power plant. You can get great photos with a zoom lens.

If I find out anything more on the days and times of the A765 local in Gainesville, I'll let y'all know. My best suggestion would be to park at the Burnetts Lake wye in Alachua around 6pm and wait. :wink: