hi all,

i'll be heading out on my first trip to Altoona
in 2 weeks. i'm really excited as i have been
planning to go for a year now, checking the
internet looking at photos and vids of the famous
spot. here are a few questions for ya'll that visit
regularly or have visted recently:

1- are there any spots besides the Curve itself
that you can hike to and railfan in the area ?

2- are there really trains that go by every 40mins-
to 1 hour everyday ?

3- what are some good places to eat within walking
distance of the Amtrak station downtown ?

4- any other advice or recommendations for a first
time visitor ?

thanks in advance, peace, :-)

bktrains31

#462253  by bwparker1

Check out these past threads on the Curve:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... shoe+curve

Also, Train Frequency is probably about 60 trains in a 24 hour period, but as to how frequent that is, it is anyones guess. The longest I have waited to see something is about 70 minutes, but then 5 trains came in 17 minutes... I think in the past, I have read that early morning and late afternoon time frames have heavier volumes, while the middle of the day can be slow. Also, Thursday to Saturday have heavier volumes than Sunday to Wednesday.

I hope this helps.

BWP
 #462266  by dwil89

A scenic route out to the Altoona area from the East would be via Rte 78 to 81 to Harrisburg.....you can railfan around the Rockville Bridge area and then can follow Rte 22/322 West.....Keep the scanner on and you will more or less follow the mainline West past Lewistown, Huntingdon, Mt Union..etc...In some locations, you will be very near the tracks along 22...At Water Street, follow Rte 453 North to Tyrone...Stop in Tyrone at the Amtrak platform and watch trains there....Follow I99/220 South from there to Altoona.....The Station Inn in Cresson, Tunnel Inn in Gallitzin offers trackside lodging on the West Slope and John Shuniak's Cassandra Motel is not too far from the tracks and offers reasonable rates.

#462312  by scooter3798

Just a word of advice here. Downtown Altoona is not the greatest place in the world these days. As of late they have had an increasing drug problem. As a result make sure you always lock your car when it is parked anywhere near down town. And if you do leave your camera or any other valuables make sure to cover them up with something. I don't mean to turn you off or anything, but I just wanted to let you know that Altoona isn't really what it used to be. Just make sure to use your head and you should have a great time. Also I hope that you really enjoy your first trip to the curve, it really is an experience to see in person.

As far as train frequency, you shouldn't have to wait long for anything. Traditionally the morning and from the late afternoon on are the busiest times on the mountain, however it just depends how stuff is moving the day that you are there. For the most part you can rely pretty regularly on the eastbound pig trains showing up just after supper time, and there is usually a pretty good fleet of them.

For some additional info I would check out this page, it has some nice directions for spots on the west slope of the mountain.

http://www.trainweb.org/pghrailfan/guid ... eGuide.pdf

I would also recomend, if you don't already have one, a PA gazetteer. It includes detailed maps with all the back roads. If you don't have one you can pick them up at most book stores for around 20 bucks (well worth the investment).

On a side note, if you get tired of seeing black widecabs pulling pig trains (not everybody does), I would also recommend a visit to CSX's Sand Patch grade about 35 miles to the south. While it doesn't provide the train density (usually about 1/3 to a half of what NS runs in a day) it does provide some spectacular scenery and a much greater variety in equipment. (Also seems to be a little friendlier attitude towards railfans down there)

Hope this helps you out, and enjoy your trip!

Scooter

#462492  by bigkidtrainz31

hey everyone,
thanks so much for the repsonses and the info ! it's proved very helpful for sure.
scooter no problem....i grew up in NYC so i'm used to being on point about my surroundings. street smarts. even now having recently moved to NJ, train stations & bus stops will obviously always attract vagrants your run of the mill up-to-no-gooders...lol.
the reason i asked the within walking distance questions, is i will NOT have a CAR while i'm down there unfortuantely. i'll be at the mercy of local cabs. i'm assuming i'll be able to pick up a cab once i'm done poking around after i get off amtrak...a cabstand perhaps ? a car service sticker on a wall ? i don't mind hiking around, but i'll definitely have to cab it to the Curve (being that it's located about 5 miles west is a bit of a stretch)
i figured if i walk in either direction and stick close to the tracks i can find a spot or an overpass bridge somewhere along the line.
so besides the Curve itself is the bridge overpass at the station downtown my only choice as a railfan and photo-op spot accessible by walking ?
i'm hoping this will not lessen my railfanning experience while in Altoona.
thanks again everyone, peace,
bktrainz31
p.s. i'm guessing the Memorial Railroaders museum is a stone's throw from the station....:-)

#462606  by scooter3798

First off there is a good bit to do in downtown Altoona, railroad wise anyway. From the station Alto tower, still active and manned, is about a block or two to the west and is easily accessed from the 17th St. bridge. From the bridge you can have an elevated shot looking west at the tower, or east of stuff coming past the station, not really much to look at though. You can also go down in the lot to the west of the bridge to do some shooting and the Cove secondary cuts off here to the south. Just keep in mind here not to get too close to the tracks in order to award yourself some unwanted attention. The operators at Alto are usually pretty cool about railfans, but you never want to push it. As for the museum, you can use the ped bridge just to the east of the station, which you can also shoot off of. The museum is just across the tracks from the station. A little further east of there, about a block or so, there is a parking lot on the north side of the tracks across from the pipe and steel building. It is fairly open here and you can get some shots of trains coming and going from the yard, also the helpers are usually always around. As for walking distance, I think that would pretty much do it.

I honestly can't tell you too much about the cab service in Altoona. I would imagine that it wouldn't be too hard to get one, but I think your best bet would be to call the cab company and have them meet you at the station. Other than that the bus station is located right with the train station and you could take one of the Amtran busses to check out the shops at Juniata. There is a Sheetz gas station at the east end of the shops and you can get a pretty good view of the turntable from there and also a street that runs along the east end of the facility. Also from there if you walk east a block or two there is a bridge that crosses the yard right by the yard office. From here you can watch trains being recrewed and also check out the yard ops. A bonus here is that at the south end of the bridge is the old yard where a lot of older pieces of rolling stock are kept in storage.

As far as getting to the curve I think the cab will be your best bet. However I do know that there is bus service between Altoona and Johnstown via Johnstown's CamTran bus service. This uses the highway the whole way, but you do get to see some of the mainline when heading out of Altoona.

Hope this helps, and if any other questions keep them coming.

Also if you have a scanner I would definetly bring it, especially if you are on foot.

Scooter

#462968  by bigkidtrainz31

Scooter,
Thanks so much for all the info yet again...I'm sure it will prove invaluable once I get there !

I've noticed from other fan pics that there's a few pedistrian bridges at certain streets, and that's just fine with me. I live in the vicinity of NS's Croxton yard here in Secaucus,NJ but there's only about 3 local runs a day. The longest train about 20 cars long. Except for the normal customers, work has been slow lately. I kinda know the verbiage as they share trackage rights with NJ Tranist commuter line. (former Erie Lackawana) so I know when to head out. I'm hoping to see plenty more action in Altoona !

I never thought of bringing my scanner to be honest. I know I can get the frequencies but I believe it only extends to a 2 mile radius range (a basic Radio Shack Pro-528) I don't think I would even recognize the squawk from dispatcher to engineer or detectors to know a train would be close. I'm only used to that here in this area really since fanning the last year. Maybe I'll bring it just for kicks. I plan on just hanging around the bridges & waiting. Unless that is if you'd be kind enough to provide a free crash course ! :-) I'm thinking the Curve will be my best bet.

I'd like to visit Juniata but noticed it's about 2 miles to the north. I could take a cab (again) but I would walk it along the line while fanning my way up there ( worth the walk I'm sure) however I'm sure most of the track areas are fenced and closely watched. Alto seems like a cool spot...I'll only be in Altoona from evening Sun to morning Wed. (Amtrak) giving me 2 full days Mon.-Tues.to explore. How's the action Mon./Tues.? Probably not that great I guess. Either way I'm sure I won't be bored those 2 days! I plan on taking pics & vids so I'll post up when I get back.
Thanks again for the detailed info, much appreciated !
Peace,
bktrainz31

#463119  by bwparker1

Definitely bring your scanner, the signal is quite strong, and it will help you sort out what is going on in the Yard Complex. You will be able to hear all of ALTO's radio messages. Also, consider bringing this timetable to help you identify where trains are:

http://www.trainweb.org/eastpenn/ett/cripitl2.gif

#463173  by scooter3798

Here are the main radio frequencies that they use in the Altoona area
Road 1: 160.800
Road 2: 161.070
Yard: 160.980, 160.995
MOW: 161.430, 161.055, 161.130
Carmen: 161.340
NS Police: 160.680, 160.560
RJ Corman (Cresson): 160.845
Juniata: 161.520 (this channel is also used by CSX in Cumberland and sometimes you will pick up the CSX CM dispatcher talking on here, mostly weather dependent though)

For the most part a good portion of the chatter will be on Road 1 (160.800) and the yard channel 160.980. The timetable that bwparker posted is a pretty good representation of the layout in town. However since that is an old CR timetable there have been a few changes to it, albiet minor though. First there is a hot box detector at MP 238.4 on Tracks 1 and 2. (By the way the tracks are numbered from the south to the north) Next there is also a combined hot box/dragging equipment detector at MP 241 on tracks 2 and 3 as well as the sliding wheel detector on tracks 1 and 2 at the same location. There is also another dragging equipment detector at MP 243.7 on all tracks, you might be able to pick this one up at the curve. All of these detectors announce themselves on Road 1. They will go off when the train first hits them and then after the train clears them announcing whether or not there was a problem. Also all trains have to call their signals which will also help to give you an idea of where a train is at (unless of course you get a pig train and the guys are sleeping, or just don't feel like calling signals). If done properly the crews will announce their train symbol, the signal they are at, the track they are on, the direction that they are travelling, and the lead unit number. If they have a helper, the helper crew will sometimes also acknowledge that the head end called the signal.

With Alto in control of most of town, everything has to talk to them. There will sometimes be almost constant chatter between the tower and the helpers as they are moved about to get them into position for their next shove. This can get a little confusing at times as they almost always refer to the helpers by their unit number and not their symbol. This can also change as all helpers are sets of two SD40-2's, so sometimes they'll be called by the west unit number and sometimes the east, depending on which way they are going. To further confuse you, almost all of the helper pool units are in the 3300 series, with a few 34's mixed in (3425, 3428, and 3433 are usually in the pool), so sometimes they will really shorten things up and call the helpers by just the last two digits (3344 refered to as the 44) although this is mostly done when the train crews are calling to their helper crew.

There are also a number of trains which will make pick ups and set offs in the yard and they will call both Alto as well as the Rose yard master to get yarding instructions. Rose and Alto will often times communicate via the 160.980 channel. The Juniata channel can be kind of neat as sometimes you get to hear someone get chewed out for doing something stupid, but most times you'll hear them talking about moving the power around to get it to the right bay or building.

Once again hope this helps, and keep the questions coming.

Scooter

#463445  by bigkidtrainz31

Hey all,

• Parker thanks so much for the map ! It's a good one for sure! I think I've been spoiled that I live close enough to the yard here that I've never listened for mp's or detectors...I'll listen for dispatch to give 'em the green and it passes by within 10mins..Seems like I'll be doing some REAL raillfanning now ! :-) I've only seen one guy with a scanner here up at the station to be honest and that was months ago...

• Scooter thanks yet again for all the frequencies and helping me to make a mental picture all this. Either way I'll walk along trackside as far as my legs will take me, camera in hand. I'm sure there's ALOT more trains moving around down there. Ok so here's some more questions, trying get a sense of direction and feel for it all:

Rose Yard: Have seen pics but.....Is this north of Altoona station, south of Juniata ? Is Rose a part of Juniata works ? From Altoona station, I start walking north correct ?

NS police/railfanning: Are they usually around ? Is railfanning frowned upon by railroad police, workers, or the general public ? Usually the concensus here is, railfanning is ok unless a fan oversteps a "boundary" or acts in a unsafe manner. Common sense, but I always see non-railfans that seem clueless and do stupid stuff. (balancing on rails, standing in tracks, not being attentive to children etc.)

Downtown eats: Where's the best cup of coffee, burger/fries,pizza and the like ? Any convienent stores close ?

Thanks again everyone ! Peace,

bktrainz31
 #463481  by jr

Rose Yd Office is East of Juniata; it's the Yd Office that's mentioned in an earlier post. At 8th St., there's a bridge (once known as "Red Bridge") that spans the yard, a few feet East of the office building. For my money, the bridge has always been the best spot in town for nearly-continuous activity; helper engines put on W/B trains; Yard moves; Re-crews; the occasional train being yarded. When things are slow there (which is rare), there are the strings of stored, older freight cars under the South end of the bridge, awaiting shopping or scrapping, that make for interesting viewing.

The bridge also affords a view of the signals at CP-ROSE, to the East of the bridge, and it has a wide pedestrian walkway with a good view of the yard to the West.

JR

#463601  by bigkidtrainz31

Thanks for the tip JR...
Ok, I think I'm getting a sense of direction now ! lol... I gotta zoom outta these maps once in a while !
Since the beginning I thought this would be a hop into PA from NJ....till I looked up the Amtrak schedule....almost 7 hrs ! I'm enough of a railfan to make the trip and I know it'll be worth it !
Correct me if I'm wrong but every or almost every train headed West (i.e. when I get off Amtrak's Pennsylvanian @ Altoona going there Sun. evening) that goes thru Altoona goes onto Horseshoe Curve right ?
I couldn't wait so I purchased Highball's- NS Beyond Horseshoe DVD, got it in the mail this morning, I'll check it out later tonight....I'll check back here again later I'm sure....:-D
Peace,
bgkidtrainz31

#463615  by scooter3798

JR, pretty much covered ROSE in his post above this one. This was the bridge that I made mention to in one of the posts that is a few blocks to the east (railroad east) of Juniata.

As for the police. NS has two cops in the Altoona area, and they do not take kindly to tresspassing, but for the most part if you use your head you won't have a problem. If you do happen to run into one of the NS cops and you aren't doing anything stupid they aren't that bad, and they are sort of railfans themselves, although they won't let on to this at first. Most of the encounters that I have heard with them is that they will ask you to leave NS property. Just be respectful. As for the Altoona Police, I don't really know. In my opinion they should be spending their time trying to control the hooligans which seem to run rampant over there these days, but I don't think they are winning that battle. I have never had a problem with them, but then again I haven't spent that much time in downtown Altoona since the aforementioned crowd of delinquents rolled into town. With that pretty much the only place I would foresee having a problem would be the lot across from Alto, and as I mentioned in an earlier post, as long as you are respectful to the NS property, the tower operators are cool with you being there.

As for railfanning by foot to try and help you out I found some areial shots of downtown to give you an idea of what you are going up against. I am just going to put in a link and then give you a description of what you are looking at. Also keep in mind that the pictures are from 1994, so some of the stuff has changed, I'll try to make note of what is different, at least for your needs. Once on the page you can zoom in on the photos and move around for more detail. First up is the area around Alto and the station

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image. ... na%7cpa%7c

In the center of the page there is a four lane over pass crossing the tracks which run from the bottom left corner to the top right corner. This bridge is 17th St. Just to the left of the bridge you can just see Alto on the north side of the tracks, with the Cove secondary curving off towards the bottom of the picture. Beginning at the bottom left corner there is an overpass just at the edge of the picture, this location is Slope. There is a road that parallels the tracks the whole way from Alto to Slope, although it dips up and down from the level of the tracks at spots. Slope is a cool place to shoot stuff coming out of town in the afternoon. Heading the other way from 17th st. you can see the station which is about four blocks up from there. It is directly across the tracks from the museum, of which you can see the equipment parked out side in the photo. You can also see the pedestrian bridge just to the east of the station as well. Since the picture was taken a new ped bridge was built at the station. Also notice that just to the north of the tracks that there is a multilane road that parallels them. There is a sidewalk on the north side of this road. Just east of the ped bridge in the picture you will notice that the road begins to leave the tracks and that there is a parking lot between it and the tracks. You can set up here and get some decent morning light for some eastbounds coming into town. Beyond that to the east you will see a pair of bridges crossing the tracks. They rebuilt these bridges a few years ago and changed the intersection a little bit, but to get to Juniata you want to follow the road up through the goofy looking intersection. At the very top right corner of the shot you can see the Union Tank Car facility. To proceed further east you want to follow the road that runs on the north side of the facility. As for shooting off the bridges, well I haven't been on them since they were rebuilt so I really can't say, you may want to check them out for yourself. On to the next shot.

Here we see part of the yard and also the south west end of the shops. There was a pedestrian bridge that at one point was accessable at one point just east of the UTLX facility. It is visible in the picture about two blocks east from the double bridges. This is also where the yard begins to fan out toward the south east. I don't know if you can still get on this bridge or not, but when you could it was a cool shot down into the yard, especially in the afternoon and evening hours. Continuing railroad east, north east geographically, you will begin to pass some of the shop buildings. The road runs along the north west edge of the facility here and there is fence the whole way. However you can shoot through the fence in many places or even over it at some. Through here they often park junk equipment. Most often there are a bunch of old Conrail Trailvan trailers, some old locos and cars, most missing a healthy dose of parts. Towards the top center of the shot there is a long skinny building out near the road. This is where the executive train is kept when not in use. Everyonce in a while they leave one of the doors open on the north east end of the building and you can get a peak inside, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Also of note here is that the road goes up on a hill and you will be looking down into the shops. Next pic.

Here we see the heart of the shops. Again the road that you will be on runs along the north west edge of the facility and there isn't a whole lot to see once you get past the shop entrance, which in the picture is about 3 blocks up from the end of the executive building where the shop buildings form a gap that makes for an opening from the road to the tracks. Just before you reach the entrance there are a couple of tracks that sit out next to the road. They often park wrecked units here, or stuff that is stripped down for a rebuild. They also store traction motors wheels and various other parts here, usually something interesting to look at. Once you get past the entrance you can't see anything until you get to the end of the last building where you will be able to see the turntable. This is visible just to the north east of the large light gray building. To the north of this there is a Sheetz convenience store and you can shoot from there parking lot. Also a good place to stop and get something to eat. There is a fence surrounding the turntable area, however it is an old metal rod fence and it is a piece of cake to shoot through the bars, it's almost like it isn't even there. At the north east edge of the turntable you will see a street that runs perpendicular to the tracks. This is also another great spot to shoot from as you are about 15 ft from the edge of the table. Back here you will often see units in various states of dissassembly and also various parts off of locos. Another thing to look for here is NS 1000 which is the load test unit for the shops. It is an old Erie Lackawanna SD45 which is missing the center portion of its long hood. It is repainted in the new horsehead scheme now and looks quite presentable considering the fact that part of the hood is gone! When you are done here, go back out to the main road and head north east two blocks to the bridge which is visible in the picture. This is the bridge that crosses by the Rose yard office. The old yard with the stored euipment is visible in the picture to the south east of the main line, it looks darker in the picture than the active yard.

As for food, well I can't really help you much there. Sheetz is a good bet if you want to get something fast, there is one on 17th street two blocks south of the tracks and there is also the one by the shops. Other than that there is a puke-Donalds located in the shopping center next to the museum. I don't really know about downtown though, again due to my avoidance of the area.

I hope this gives you a better idea of what you are up against here, and again I wish you the best of luck and any other questions keep them coming.

Scooter

#463616  by scooter3798

bigkidtrainz31 wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong but every or almost every train headed West (i.e. when I get off Amtrak's Pennsylvanian @ Altoona going there Sun. evening) that goes thru Altoona goes onto Horseshoe Curve right ?
Yes, the only thing that goes west out of Altoona that doesn't go over the Curve is the local that serves Hollidaysburg to the south west of town. This train uses the Cove secondary which cuts off at Alto. Back in the day, until the late 70's early 80's trains could still go west out of town by using the Cove and then using the old main which got to the top of the hill via Muleshoe curve and then connecting to the main just east of the tunnels at Gallitzen. Now a days though, unless they're teleporting themselves out of town, westbound trains out of town will be headed around the Horseshoe Curve. Pretty much the samething for trains headed east. There is only one route through Altoona these days. Stuff headed west is going to Johnstown, and stuff headed east is going to Harrisburg.

Scooter