Railroad Forums 

• Finger Lakes Railway Railfan's Day 5/15

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1915  by kemay59

LEHIGH VALLEY RAILROAD HISTORICAL SOCIETY TO SPONSOR RAILFAN'S DAY ON FINGER LAKES RAILWAY MAY 15

The Lehigh Valley Railroad Historical Society of Manchester, New York, will sponsor the first ever Railfan's Day on the Finger Lakes Railway on Saturday, May 15, 2004. An all-day special photographers passenger train excursion will be operated from Geneva, New York, to Solvay, New York, and return using two FGLK diesel locomotives painted in the New York Central "lightning stripe" paint scheme and two Finger Lakes Scenic Railway passenger coaches. There will be numerous photo stops during the ten hour, 100 mile round trip over the former New York Central "Auburn Road" railroad line through the Finger Lakes region of New York State. Fare for the train excursion will be $50.00 per person. The trip is limited to 144 passengers. Passengers may bring their own food aboard the train. Beverages and snacks will be sold on board. The train will depart Geneva at 8:00 a.m. and will return at 6:00 p.m. There will be a night photo session at the FGLK enginehouse in Geneva conducted by Tom Trencansky at 9:00 p.m. Cost for the night photo session will be $20.00 per person. The session is limited to 36 photographers. For a ticket order form, please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope to FGLK Railfan's Day, Lehigh Valley Railroad Historical Society, P. O. Box RR, Manchester, NY 14504-0200.

#1950  by Ken W2KB

I ran my my speeder on the NARCOA trip last year. Very friendly and accomodating railroad. I'll try to dom this year's run, too.

#2386  by kemay59

Anyone who would like a FGLK Railfan's Day order form (Word document) sent to them, please email me.
 #18005  by kemay59

Tickets are selling briskly for the Finger Lakes Railway Railfan's Day passenger train excursion between Geneva, NY, and Solvay, NY, on Saturday, May 15. The special photographer's train will make eight photo stops during the ten hour, 100-mile round trip over the historic former New York Central "Auburn Road" railroad line through the scenic Finger Lakes region. One of the highlights of the trip will be riding over the causeway on the north end of Cayuga Lake. Station stops will include open houses at the Skaneateles Junction and Martisco depots. Beverages and snacks will be sold on board the train. Passengers may bring their own food aboard in small coolers. Hamburgers and hot dogs will be sold by the Central New York Model Railroad Club at Skaneateles Junction for lunch. For more information, visit the Lehigh Valley Railroad Historical Society event page at www.railroad.net/lvrrhs/.

#18150  by videobruce

I thought half of the Auburn Branch was ripped out?

#18174  by bwparker1

From Canandaigua up through Victor, Pittsford, Brighton to the Rochester Lumber spur of the CSX Main near Winton and East Ave. it is ripped out, I would think in the early 80's As a child, I remember tracks and a cross buck sign that crossed Highland Ave.

brooks

#18176  by videobruce

I thought between Auburn (or there abouts) and Solvay was torn up?

I remember in the late 70's when there was a derailment between Lyons and Belle Isle and a couple of eastbounds were detoured via GY and the Auburn branch! I think NY 2 was one of them.

#18730  by thebigham

How was it? Did anyone go?

Chris
 #18733  by CP169

The Auburn Road is most certainly alive and well. They manage to run a train through Camillus right at rush hour almost daily.
 #19008  by kemay59

Tickets are still available for both the Finger Lakes Railway Railfan's Day train excursion and night photo session on Saturday, May 15. Call 585-289-8022 to make ticket reservations for these events. Walk-up tickets will be sold on Saturday beginning at 7:00 a.m. if the train is not sold out in advance. Boarding for the train excursion will start at 7:30 a.m. at the Finger Lakes Railway Offices on Border City Rd. (E. North St.) in Geneva. There will also be cab ride raffle tickets sold before and during the train excursion. Four lucky winners will get a cab ride from either Geneva to Auburn, Auburn to Solvay, Solvay to Auburn, or Auburn to Geneva. Raffle tickets are only $1.00 each. For more information about Finger Lakes Railway Railfan's Day sponsored by the Lehigh Valley Railroad Historical Society, please visit www.railroad.net/lvrrhs/.
 #19770  by RailBus63

How did the trip go? I didn't have an opportunity to ride or chase the trip due to a graduation party that day, but I did see the train in Camillus - two passenger cars with a B23 on each end.

Jim D.
 #20216  by Mike Roque

RailBus63 wrote:How did the trip go?
It was quite fun...

Model Railroad Club at Skaneateles Junction
They were nice enough to serve us lunch on the grill (Burgers, hots, etc.) and show us their depot with model railroad.

CNY Chapter NRHS' Martisco Railroad Museum
Another great tour of their depot/museum. It seems they're building some track...

Numerous Photo Run-bys
The usual stop, detrain, run-by, run-back, re-train. I particularly enjoyed the stop at Cayuga Lake.

Night Photo Session
I didn't stay for this, but I imagine it was an excellent and unique opportunity to shoot.