Railroad Forums 

• Fate of West Trenton (New York) Line Stations

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#126586  by Mercer&Somerset

I recently purchased "Reading Railroad Station Pictorial: Lines K-P" and am fascinated by the old stations along the New York Line. I grew up in Belle Mead and am quite familiar with that station, and have also visited the Hopewell and Pennington stations, but I am curious about the fate of the Stoutsburg, Harlingen, and, especially, Skillman stations.

The Stoutsburg and Harlingen stations look like tiny shacks, so I assume nothing remains of them. But the Skillman station was a pretty substantial structure--3 stories--although it looks like it was wood frame and had no foundation (unlike the brick Belle Mead station). Obviously the Skillman station is no longer present--I've been over to its former site (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=skillman, ... &t=k&hl=en) and nothing seems to remain. Does anyone have information on the fate of this station? Was it moved? Destroyed? And, in either case, when? (the book says sometime between 1942--the time of the pictures--and 1976)

Thank you in advance for any input!
 #128697  by ftmprob

In 1966 while in college I had a truck driving job. I picked up fertilizer at a company I remember as Goulard and Olena adjacent to the Skillman Station. I remember it being wood from and having peeling cream paint. And outdoor outhouses. That is all I can remember. Can anyone clarify or correct what I am saying?
 #307244  by sourland

My Grandfather, who was the second generation of my family to work for the Reading Railroad purchased the Stoutsburg station building from the railroad when he retired somewhere around 1960. He moved it to his house in Hopewell Township and used it as a barn for about 25 years. He gave it to my father in 1986 and when my father retired in 1989 we disassembled it and it moved to Delaware with him. A few years later he sold it to a friend of his who is railroad fanatic near Milford DE. He used a picture of the station taken in 1936 as a reference and over a 2 year period he has completely restored it to it's 1940 comdition. It now resides in his side lawn as the 'crown jewel' of his railroad collection.
The end result is that the station was not lost or destroyed, merely moved about 200 miles south and is now being lovingly cared for.
John Nettleton

#307827  by hioo1

Hey Sourland, You have any pictures of the station in the then or current form? I would love to see some, since I am attempting to model the area!

Thanks!

#498366  by pumpers

Sourland, I just came across this posting when googling
"goulard and olean" after seeing erielackawanna's pic's in the other
Skillman thread. (the one in the NJ Railfan forum titled "Skillman NJ Depot -- the Trenton line in 1947"

I used to live next to the tracks VERY close to Stoutsburg. Do
you know what quadrant of the Province Line Rd/track crossing the
station was in?

Also, I'll second the request of hioo1 from 2006 for any station pictures
(from Stoutsburg or Delaware!).

Thanks, JS

#499203  by scotty269

Check out Bethayres station on the SEPTA West Trenton line. Its an original station, which has not yet been torn down.