Railroad Forums 

• Far Rockaway Branch electrical operation

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1605630  by twropr

The timetables that I have show electrification from Valley to Lead (is that pronounced "leed" or "led"?).
Lead is .7 mile ?west of Long Beach. Are diesels operated on this branch, or do the limits of Lead include Long Beach station?
Thanks
Andy
 #1605641  by workextra

Andy.
Diesels can go to Long Beach and did after the hurricane but normally have no reason to to go there.

Lead is short for the historic name of “wreck lead” and is pronounced as you assumed “leed”

As For the far rock branch,
If the train were running the loop. The trains “direction” would flip at Valley.
So and EB train via the rockaway branch branch would continue as an eastbound through Gibson, and then become a westbound at valley.
I’d have to refer you to period timetables.
 #1605655  by Erie-Lackawanna

Lead is on the Long Beach Branch. East of Lead, to end of track, is Long Beach Yard and Terminal, all of which is electrified with third rail.

The Long Beach Branch is not related operationally to the Far Rockaway Branch. Trains operate to/from Far Rock, or to/from Long Beach. The two branches begin/end at Valley Interlocking. West of Valley, trains for both branches operate via the Atlantic Branch to Jamaica and points west.

Under modern operation, Far Rock trains do not change direction at any point in their run. The direction from Jamaica to Valley is eastward, and the direction from Valley to Far Rock is eastward.

Jim
 #1605743  by Head-end View

The operation of the Far Rockaway Branch is weird in terms of direction. Trains eastbound on the branch are actually traveling southwest. And the railroad south side of the right-of-way is actually the north side.

It was far more logical back when the Branch was a full loop.
 #1606225  by Head-end View

K & K : Seems like an odd location to change direction. Valley Stream or Far Rockaway would seem much more logical. Did the train number also change as the train passed Arverne?
 #1606232  by Kelly&Kelly

At one time the numbers changed at Arverne. That was after the branch was elevated. Haven't looked to see if they changed at Hammels prior to 1939. There may have been different arrangements at different times too. I know around the turn of the Centrry there was a train that originated at Rockaway Beach and wound its way to Oyster Bay. In earlier years a train from LIC traveled to Sag Harbor via Far Rockaway.
 #1606233  by Kelly&Kelly

At one time the numbers changed at Arverne. That was after the branch was elevated. I suspect things were handled differently prior to that.

Before 1929 the same tracks carried Ocean Electric trolleys between Far Rockaway and Hammels. The directions would have to have conformed.

There may have been different arrangements at different times too. I know around the turn of the century there was a train that originated at Rockaway Beach and wound its way to Oyster Bay. In earlier years a train from LIC carried mail to Sag Harbor via Far Rockaway.