Railroad Forums 

• Extend MFL up Roosevelt Blvd

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#89923  by Bensalem SEPTA rider

Here's my idea to extend the MFL to the NE:

Pave over center two lanes of the Roosevelt Blvd express lanes (leaving 4 of them) and put a traditonal El structure over them.

Here are where the stops would be located:

Oxford/Lawncrest-Buselton Ave right before Roosevelt Blvd interesction
Mayfair/Tacony-Roosevelt Blvd and Longshore Ave
Roosevelt/Cottman-Roosevelt Blvd and Cottman Ave
Rhawn/Holemsburg-Roosevelt Blvd and Hartel Ave
Nazareth/Pennypack-Roosevelt Blvd and Pennypack circle
Welsh/Academy-Roosevelt Blvd and Welsh Rd
Busleton/Somerton-Roosevelt Blvd and Grant Ave
Northeast Terminal-Roosevelt Blvd and NE Airport

Well, what do you think?

#90273  by Springfield Tripper

Funny, I've been thinking of just such a thing over the past week here in North Texas, where the temps are just now starting to plunge out of the 50's!

Here's my concept:

Starting about Woodhaven and the Boulevard, with two tracks, EACH ON THEIR OWN STRUCTURE, heading towards town eith stops, ohhh, I duuno:

Welsh
Rhawn
Cottman- four-track, dual island configuration

An aside here, as this is where the Frankford El needs to have its new endpoint. Halfway btwn Rhawn and Cottman, trackage can expand to four to facilitate a small layover yard capable of stabling twenty-four cars, or four rush-hour trains, feeding into a track connection at the far east end.

Now, we have two parallel, separate El services, stopping at:

Harbison (Frankford)
Bustleton (Boulevard)

This locating of stations allows the Frankford to make a clean turn off Bustleton before having to negotiate a station, yet leaves the two within mezzanine distance of each other. From here, the Frankford turns South (kinda) on to Bustleton and on to FTC.

…returning to the Boulevard line, working Westward:

Oxford Circle
Adams
Rising Sun
5th

Continuing Southwest onto Hunting Park to:

Broad / Old York & Hunting Park
where free transfers to the BSS would be offered. Now, the tricky part:

Turning over the Port Richmond Sub VIA AIR RIGHTS, Westwards, and Elevated, and descending, turning again to the North over and offset from the Reginal Rail Mainline, dropping to surface level enroute to Wayne Junction, and from thence, out the Chestnut Hill East line.

What would be great is if someone was willing to graph this idea onto a map of North Fluffya so we could see how it looks. I don't know how to do stuff like that.

let me know what's wrong with this one.

Cheers,
Garry
'right, Media!

#91794  by Bill R.

While there is no physical reason that the MFSE could not be extended north on Roosevelt Boulevard, there are several operational reasons that it doesn't make sense:

The Frankford end already carries more passengers than the 69th Street end. This would only serve to increase that imbalance.

There is no good location for turning trains in the middle of the line west of Center City, so that option does not exist.

The service would likely require 8-car trains, something that would be prohibitively expensive to adapt the existing infrastructure to.

Absent a replacement of the existing Frankford elevated with a three track tunnel, no genuine express service would be available, an option that exists on the Broad street subway.

In short, it just doesn't work.

If your motivation is that you think that the Boulevard subway is too expensive, the cheaper route would be a SEPTA RRD West Trenton reroute via the New York Short Line.