Railroad Forums 

• Exploring Utica's old railroads

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#923907  by Brian 57

As a point of reference to tie Westshore94706's 1925 Sanborn map to kinlock's photo, the "Utica Gas and Electric Substation" building on the map is the tiny building in the photograph under the letters "am" in the word Campion Rd. It is still standing, though not as an active substation anymore.

In the 1915 Sanborn map, the large Sauquoit Spinning Co. complex was later occupied by Sitrue Doeskin paper company. In the late 70s, the buildings went up in a spectacular fire that brought spectators from miles around. The U-Haul self -storage is now on the site.
 #924295  by Brian 57

If you are interested in what things looked like in 1907, here's a link to a site the sells reproductions of the 1907 Atlas. You can preview and zoom in on the maps. http://www.historicmapworks.com/Atlas/U ... ty%201907/
 #928818  by westshore94706

Here are Sanborn Maps for various Textile mills along the WS New York Mills Branch - these are most but not all of the Sanborn maps covering this branch. The configuration of trackwork may not be accurate but the maps give a good picture of how the WS served these industries.

Given the quantity of textile mills located in the area, I am surprised that Utica doesn't have a Textile museum. This branch had four sizeable mills in addition to those on Broad street, the State St Mill , Utica Globe Woolen etc.

I have one more map which covers the terminus of the branch at the Oneida Bleachery. Will post in next couple of days.
 #928831  by O-6-O

Customers in the NYM branch include:

McCrath Beverage (loads in) boxcars

Fountainhead group ( loads in) plastic pellets coverd hoppers

SCI plywood (loads in) boxcars

DI Hyway ( steel box beams inbound) bulhead flats

2 inactive sidings remain from days long ago
 #929149  by Brian 57

westshore94706,

Love those Sanborn Maps-- Keep 'em coming!!! How did you come by them?
 #929309  by westshore94706

Clarification to my previous post: maps provided in my last post date from 1925 - some of the buildings shown on these maps still exist - does anyone have pictures of the west shore branch and these mills in operation ca 1900 1930?
 #929464  by westshore94706

Brian57

Well, it was lunch time back in 2002 (?) and I was killing time on the internet when I stumbled across a website providing free access to sample Sanborn maps - I grabbed as many as I could - basically a good portion of Utica and environs in years 1888, 1925 and some 1955 updates.

Slightly off topic - but still westshore - try to imagine the corner of Genesee and Auburn prior to the Uptown Shopping Center.
 #930053  by kinlock

Yes, that "Uptown" area scaled back a lot by the early 1950's. They were two track then went to one track then to no track after I left. Early 1950's there were at least one team track (maybe 2). Local car dealers got deliveries in double door box cars.

In 1925, they still had the Syracuse interurban. Always understood that was where the cars left Genesee Street to go on the electrified West Shore.

...Ken
 #930326  by SST

On my way home from Saratogo Springs on Saturday, I stopped at Utica and Rome to "check things out." The stop in Rome was to see the B-52 and photograph it. Utica was to see Union Station.

I was really impressed with the station. As I drove over the tracks on Genesee, I could see an Amtrak train at the station. I couldn't tell how busy it was. The train was still there when I finally parked at the station but before I could get the camera out, it departed. The station was quiet at that point. What a comparison as to the Buffalo Central Terminal. It's too bad that NYC moved the Buffalo terminal so far out of the city.

I believe the restaurant was open but I didn't stay. I photographed a few things around the station including the ADRR #4243 in front of a snow plow. The snow plow looks like it's ready to eat 4243.

After that, I drove over to Rome, NY to check out the Air Force Base. I got some great shots of the B-52. There were more 747's there than the last time I was there including an ex-NWA cargo 747. Several Transaero birds inluding a 777-200.

I also got a shot of a group of locomotives on the base as well. It was a great little day trip. Love that B-52!

Here are 3 pictures from my trip.

The B-52: http://www.railfan.net/railpix/submit/s ... G_0203.jpg

Group of loco's at AFB: http://www.railfan.net/railpix/submit/s ... G_0224.jpg

4243 at Utica: http://www.railfan.net/railpix/submit/s ... G_0189.jpg
 #930532  by tree68

The S-1 at Rome will serve as the protection power at Thendara this summer. F10 1502 should be on the Utica trains. Inside the engine house behind you as you took the pictures is RS18u 1845, which hopefully will be in paint soon (same as the S1). If you'd been there during the week, a knock on the engine house door (or maybe just walk on in) would have gotten you a friendly welcome.

If you didn't see NYC 8223 there, it probably means it's inside the shop, too.

Adirondack 4243 (originally SP&S 303)is headed for Connecticut, but I'm not sure when. MWHA 2456 was originally EL 2456, and still wears its BCR colors.

The red, white, and blue Alco behind 4243 is the former MWHA 642 (also nee BCR) and a movie star, having appeared in the forgettable "Atomic Train."
 #930851  by Brian 57

I work in the Griffiss business park and drive by the engine house now and then to see what I can see. Today, with the beautiful weather, the doors were open and it looked like 1845 has a coat of primer.