Railroad Forums 

• ex-NYC Put tracks in Elmsford

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#72850  by Metalrailz

Back in the early 90's I came upon a set of tracks in the concrete while making a delivery, what line ran through Elmsford?

#72872  by ElTrain

I think that was the old Putnam Line. It ran south into the Bronx where it met the current Metro North tracks East of Spuyten Duyvil. I vaguely remember seeing small freights on the line in the late 70s.

#72996  by Otto Vondrak

The New York Central Putnam Division ran through Elmsford until the A&P warehouse there shut down in 1975 (by that time it was Penn Central), then ending the reason for trains to venture north of Chauncey (Stauffer Chemical). The line was abandoned in parts after that in 1977 and 1980.

If you were anywhere in that complex today known as the Elmsford Distribution Center, that was the location of the A&P warehouse operation.

http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/imag ... harlem.jpg

-otto-
 #73332  by oakpoint

Working out of Oak Point yard in the 80s, we were delivering covered flour hoppers to Stell D'Oro cookie plant-restaurant. At that time the tracks were out of service beyond the cookie plant.

I've seen a picture of the area around Stella D'Oro now and all tracks have been romoved.

The line merges with the hudson division at Fordam Rd.

Charles :(