Railroad Forums 

• Ex CN to CP??

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1347000  by Chargerrt89

What are the chances a terminated CN conductor could get on with CP as a conductor in Western Canada???
I recently noticed CP is looking for 25 cndr's in Cranbrook as well as a pool of qual'd conductors across Alberta & Saskatchewan. I was thinking of throwing my application in...

Any info would be appreciated.
 #1347047  by BR&P

I know nothing first-hand about CP's practices, but I'd say it probably depends a whole lot on WHY CN tied a can to you. Generally, all large roads these days are super anal about following rules and procedures. From what I hear about hiring these days I would not be optimistic if you have that on your record.
 #1347051  by Chargerrt89

Basically it was a BS reason I screwed up but it wasn't even on the job. Was on shortage as a brand new just qualified conductor didn't know hot to navigate CATS, CREW Call ext. went AWOL a few times because of it still made it to a few shift despite having gone AWOL in the system... But that was a enough for them too give me the boot.
I'm just wondering if that would be enough for CP too look at and somewhat understand that okay we get it...?

Thanks
 #1347058  by Engineer Spike

With the present CP policy of harsh discipline for the slightest infraction, it would be tough. Again, you haven't told us why you got canned. Do you have any union appeal pending? If so, that's likely your best bet. The grass isn't very green here.

Everything is very up in the air. Hunter is still pruning. It might be different in the west, but things look like a big house with no furniture here in the east.

The unfortunate loss of your job may be a blessing. Seek ways of trying that one goal which seemed unattainable. A personal example is that I want to earn another degree. This would take a sacrifice, which I'm not presently able to make. If I was at a financial point to be able to study and keep my needs sustained, then I'd do it.

Hopefully you will find that one goal, which make the loss into a win.