Railroad Forums 

• Eurostar train services canceled indefinitely

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#753239  by george matthews

David Benton wrote:Probably a big difference right there , can you imagine obama ( well maybe he might , perhaps bush is a better eg ) , blowing his cork cos acela was stuck in the snow .
The TGV in France is a matter of high national prestige. They expect it to work well. However, I believe there have been problems all over Europe caused by the snowstorm. Quite a number of people have died.

Personally, I am in favour of taking note of natural conditions and adjusting my behaviour. I don't go out on my bike in heavy rain or snow. If the sun isn't shining in the summer I don't get any hot water and so I postpone my washing day. I am not at all convinced it is quite sane to expect to be able to travel whatever the conditions.
 #753350  by george matthews

David Benton wrote:i know what your saying George , and it pisses me off the tv weather reports have been turned into entertainnment sessions . thank god for the met service website .
One of our problems, or the root of some of our problems, is to ignore the big systems (such as weather) we can't easily influence. Many members of the public show a rather childish insistence that things should continue to work in difficult conditions.

However, I do think that Eurotunnel and Eurostar both showed incompetence in dealing with this problem. That probably results from cost cutting - perhaps not having enough trained people or equipment ready. Possibly they need a new plan of dealing with stalled trains, using the needs of the customers in the trains as the basis. That is, perhaps they should be aware of the needs of people not to sit still for 5 hours in the semi-dark (if that is what happened).

I don't like Eurotunnel's press release absolving themselves of blame for what happened.

What I would like to have seen is for the Eurostars to have been taken to Ashford, and then the passengers transferred to Javelins. Maybe even the Javelins could have taken them from the Eurotunnel terminal. I imagine there is lots of bureaucracy involved here, but a comprehensive plan might be able to make this possible in future.

All train activity has become extremely rigid so that spontaneous reaction to problems is difficult. The two tunnel fires (total cost hundreds of millions of euros/pounds/dollars etc.) also showed lack of flexibility. In the first one there was no procedure to stop an already burning lorry shuttle from entering the tunnel. I suspect the second was the same. There doesn't seem to be an emergency red button. A stalled Eurostar inside should also have been a signal to press a red button to stop the following train from entering.
 #753351  by george matthews

David Benton wrote:i know what your saying George , and it pisses me off the tv weather reports have been turned into entertainnment sessions . thank god for the met service website .
One of our problems, or the root of some of our problems, is to ignore the big systems (such as weather) we can't easily influence. Many members of the public show a rather childish insistence that things should continue to work in difficult conditions.

However, I do think that Eurotunnel and Eurostar both showed incompetence in dealing with this problem. That probably results from cost cutting - perhaps not having enough trained people or equipment ready. Possibly they need a new plan of dealing with stalled trains, using the needs of the customers in the trains as the basis. That is, perhaps they should be aware of the needs of people not to sit still for 5 hours in the semi-dark (if that is what happened).

I don't like Eurotunnel's press release absolving themselves of blame for what happened.

What I would like to have seen is for the Eurostars to have been taken to Ashford, and then the passengers transferred to Javelins. Maybe even the Javelins could have taken them from the Eurotunnel terminal. I imagine there is lots of bureaucracy involved here, but a comprehensive plan might be able to make this possible in future.

All train activity has become extremely rigid so that spontaneous reaction to problems is difficult. The two tunnel fires (total cost hundreds of millions of euros/pounds/dollars etc.) also showed lack of flexibility. In the first one there was no procedure to stop an already burning lorry shuttle from entering the tunnel. I suspect the second was the same. There doesn't seem to be an emergency red button. A stalled Eurostar inside should also have been a signal to press a red button to stop the following train from entering.
 #753456  by lpetrich

Talk about come-downs:

Steam to the rescue as high speed rail fails - News & Advice, Travel - The Independent
As heavy snow and freezing conditions brought much of Europe's rail network to a standstill, including the high-speed international Eurostar service, the Tornado steam train managed to complete the route from London Victoria and Dover twice on Monday 20, carrying commuters left stranded by modern electric trains.
Eurostar to resume traffic, blames snow for chaos | Reuters
Eurostar trains between Britain and France will start running again on Tuesday, the company said on Monday, blaming powdery snow for a series of breakdowns that stranded thousands and infuriated the French government.

Eurostar Chief Operating Officer Nicolas Petrovic blamed "very light, powdery snow" of a type normally found in mountains rather than in the plains of northern France for the chaos. The company has commissioned an independent inquiry.

He said the snow had got into the trains so that when they entered the much warmer tunnel, the snow melted and caused condensation that affected the electrical power systems.

"It's the first time we have these snow conditions in this place in 15 years," Petrovic told a delayed news conference at the Eurostar terminal at the Gare du Nord station in Paris.
The snow got through the trains' air filters, and when the trains entered the tunnels, the snow melted and caused them to break down.