Railroad Forums 

• Ethanol Trains to Revere

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#821283  by bmcdr

There will be a Pan Am test train from AYER to REVERE this morning, Saturday 6-26, to look over the route for proposed Ethanol service on the old East Boston Branch. The train, probably just a pair of light engines, will depart AYER behind MBCR train #1406, due to leave AYER at 944am, and run to BOSTON, over the 4th Iron (out behind BET) and follow MBCR train #1157, due out of North Station at 1130am. The extra will turn at WONDERLAND and head back to AYER, it is planned to get them out of BOSTON ahead of MBCR train #1459.
 #821307  by jaymac

When service starts, any word on origin-interchange? NS, CSX-RJ, CSX-Barbers, or NECR-Millers Falls?
If anyone hears a massive sigh, it'll probably one of relief from folks along The Brook...
 #821313  by bmcdr

Don't know at this time, the East Boston Branch has been in a state of neglect for many years and will probably need some serious re-hab, the least of which is a switch off the Eastern Route mainline that was removed from service a few years ago.
 #821317  by CN9634

I'm assuming this will be a dedicated monster of a train. Good to hear business is increasing!
 #821322  by Eliphaz

Is the Global Oil terminal on Rte 1A the proposed terminus?
just perusing the google satellite images,
I can see where that branch starts, just south of Bell circle, where a 1A bridge crosses over the MBCR tracks,

the right of way looks pretty seriously abandoned...

would Global do blending there for local distribution, or would the methanol be transferred to outgoing ships?
 #821328  by bmcdr

Its running late, as of 1030am, the test train has not appeared on MBCR iron.
 #821338  by MEC407

Interesting development. I thought PAR was slowly trying to rid themselves of HAZMAT traffic.
 #821340  by bmcdr

bmcdr wrote:Its running late, as of 1030am, the test train has not appeared on MBCR iron.
A call to Boston West TD reveals, still no test train, District 2 has not heard from District 3 as to the whereabouts of the test train............stay tuned.
 #821341  by CN9634

Hello David,

Thanks for the play-by-play report! I'm anxiously looking forward to finding out where this thing is and exactly what they are going to do. Will you grab pictures?

Chuck
 #821343  by cpf354

MEC407 wrote:Interesting development. I thought PAR was slowly trying to rid themselves of HAZMAT traffic.
TIH (Toxic by Inhalation ) is what concerns them, mostly becasue of the added costs associated with stringent federal regulations. They have to run a special train just for the TIH loads to Merrimack (Jones) and Bow (PSNH). I see several placarded cars on the road freights, so I don't think they're shy about haz-mat, as long as it's profitable.
On a side note, here's some reading on TIH-it's scary stuff.
http://www.thei3p.org/docs/events/ifip2 ... artong.pdf
Last edited by cpf354 on Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #821344  by cpf354

bmcdr wrote:
bmcdr wrote:Its running late, as of 1030am, the test train has not appeared on MBCR iron.
A call to Boston West TD reveals, still no test train, District 2 has not heard from District 3 as to the whereabouts of the test train............stay tuned.
Well nothing down the line here yet and 1408 is almost due, as is outbound 1407, so maybe not before 1407 gets to Ayer at 1230.
Last edited by cpf354 on Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #821345  by Mcoov

Yes and no. Google Maps reveals that a lot of the rail has been ripped up. but not converted to a rail trail.

Where would the ethanol train go? It looks like a train wouldn't be able to go very far beyond Global Revere Terminal.
 #821346  by Mcoov

cpf354 wrote:
bmcdr wrote:
Well nothing down the line here yet and 1408 is almost due, as is outbound 1407, so maybe not before 1407 clears the Willows at around 1225?.
Keep me informed, as I am within a couple minutes range of King Street in Littleton.
 #821347  by theseaandalifesaver

Mcoov wrote:Yes and no. Google Maps reveals that a lot of the rail has been ripped up. but not converted to a rail trail.

Where would the ethanol train go? It looks like a train wouldn't be able to go very far beyond Global Revere Terminal.
If this is the same line I'm thinking of, from the MBTA Airport station to the waterfront has all been converted to rail trail. The section of track that's left is in AWFUL condition. It literally wouldn't be able to continue past the section that it's parallel to route 1A.