Railroad Forums 

• Erie B&O in Silver Springs

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1566783  by nydepot

Cleaning out some papers and found these from a Morton Salt story.

Of note, the photo of the station, in the background, is a storage tower. The article describes the industry in Silver Springs as Morton Salt, Lucas Ruler, and Michigan Limestone storage facilities. That tower is the facility. I don't recall seeing it in the past. Now we know where it was.

Charles
ERIE BO @ Silver Springs (Salt Plant Overview) - 3.jpg
ERIE BO @ Silver Springs (Salt Plant Overview) - 3.jpg (4.77 MiB) Viewed 1075 times
ERIE BO @ Silver Springs (Salt Plant Overview) - 4.jpg
ERIE BO @ Silver Springs (Salt Plant Overview) - 4.jpg (3.44 MiB) Viewed 1075 times
 #1566784  by nydepot

The rest of the photos.
ERIE BO @ Silver Springs (Salt Plant Overview) - 2.jpg
ERIE BO @ Silver Springs (Salt Plant Overview) - 2.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 1072 times
ERIE BO @ Silver Springs (Salt Plant Overview) - 1.jpg
ERIE BO @ Silver Springs (Salt Plant Overview) - 1.jpg (4.59 MiB) Viewed 1072 times
 #1566806  by BR&P

I can't imagine the size of the hole down underground. They have been pumping salt out for what - 150 years?
 #1566821  by nydepot

No hole. Brine. You can see the two derricks in the top photo. They survived because they developed their own way of doing it and had the patent first, pre-1900. When the salt companies, like theones along the BR&P and DL&W, started failing and joinging together, they were able to stay alone.
 #1566883  by BR&P

Of course there's a hole. There used to be salt there. they dissolved the salt and pumped the brine out. There's water down there now but that's liquid so instead of solid rock salt, you have a huge hole filled with saltwater. I once was told the size of the void under the Watkins Glen salt works. Can't remember how far it went but it was amazing.
 #1566943  by mowingman

Salt is also mined at several places in the U.S. and Canada. Massive caverns exist where mining has taken place. FYI, I have worked in every salt mine in the U.S, except for one. There will be large voids where salt has been solution mined, but the voids are full of water to help with long term stability. The mine at Himrod was a large underground mine with diesel machinery mining and hauling salt. The mine that caved in and flooded at Retsof was also a large underground mine of the same type. Caverns can be 30' -50' in height, depending on the salt layer thickness. Under the Gulf of Mexico, the caverns are 100' high. Probably more info than you ever wanted.
 #1566958  by BR&P

mowingman wrote:Salt is also mined at several places in the U.S. and Canada. Massive caverns exist where mining has taken place. FYI, I have worked in every salt mine in the U.S, except for one. There will be large voids where salt has been solution mined, but the voids are full of water to help with long term stability. The mine at Himrod was a large underground mine with diesel machinery mining and hauling salt. The mine that caved in and flooded at Retsof was also a large underground mine of the same type. Caverns can be 30' -50' in height, depending on the salt layer thickness. Under the Gulf of Mexico, the caverns are 100' high. Probably more info than you ever wanted.[/quote]

On the contrary, quite interesting and not too far off topic since salt mines almost always are rail customers. I do realize you mean every modern-day salt mine in the US except one. It's interesting that just in western NY there were at least two other salt mines which were bought up and closed for competitive reasons, Livonia and Lehigh. There may be more.

About a year ago, a Cleveland OH TV station did a 5-part news series on the big mine near there which extends out under Lake Erie. It was a well-done effort and gave the average viewer a look at what it's like which most of us never see. It's on YouTube - here is a link to one of the 5 days, for those who are interested. You'll have to figure which order to watch the others.