Railroad Forums 

• Engines and cars trucked through Danvers in the 80s

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#880635  by MB117

Hi, I remember seeing photos online a few years back of trucks moving engines and cars through Danvers after the beverly bridge fire in 1984. I have been searching for a while and cannot find those photos, anybody have any info or any interest. I live in Danvers and vagiley remember seeing them with my dad from the car. Thanks
 #880887  by jaymac

Could also be the power and coaches isolated when the wooden trestle approach to the Beverly draw burned in November 1984 and mentioned on p. 3 of the March 1985 "B&M Bulletin(imagine italics instead of quotation marks, all you fellow MLA adherents)."
 #880908  by TomNelligan

You would have seen the two locomotives and the two sets of coaches that were stranded north of the Danvers River drawbridge fire and had to be trucked out because the MBTA was short of equipment. The fire occurred in November 1985 and the highway moves were in March 1985. I don't know about on-line images, but Trains, Passenger Train Journal, and Railpace all covered it in print at the time.
 #880973  by eddiebehr

I think the stranded sets of equipment operated some type of shuttle service for a time, but the equipment required a level of servicing that could not be performed in the field. I believe Guilford/B & M had four stranded freight cars, no engines, that also were trucked out.
 #882332  by wally

TomNelligan wrote:The fire occurred in November 1985 and the highway moves were in March 1985.
one of those dates is a typo. if the fire happened in november '85, then the moves were in march 1986.
 #882398  by jaymac

Using the "B&M Bulletin (please, italics function, come back!)" of both March 1985 and June 1985 as sources, the burning at the trestle approach to the Beverly draw happened on Nov. 16, 1984 (March, 3) and the trucking away of isolated power and rolling stock was spread out between March 9 and March 22, 1985 (June, 3, 31).
It's worth looking for these articles if you have or can get access to them.
 #889812  by Watchman318

eddiebehr wrote:I believe Guilford/B & M had four stranded freight cars, no engines, that also were trucked out.
I seem to recall being told there was at least one covered hopper (plastic pellets) that had to be trucked from the Owens-Illinois plant, and at least one flatcar that had brought lumber to Keiver-Willard.
Both of those are in Newburyport, but I think O-I has been out of operation for awhile, and the track no longer crosses Parker St., so K-W hasn't had rail service there in years. O-I did transload the pellets in Haverhill for awhile, and trucked them to Newburyport.