Railroad Forums 

• Engineers: In your opinion, what makes a good conductor??

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#193057  by LCJ

I remember one engineer I worked with many years ago. It would be raining like crazy, and he would say, "Why, I wouldn't send a dog out in this weather. Hey kid -- get out there and get that switch!"

#193080  by JLJ061

ACLfan wrote:I was listening to dispatcher - train radio communications in Folkston, GA not too long ago, and I heard a conductor get on the radio and ask the CSX dispatcher to please tell the engineer do do what he told him to do.

In response to the very surprised dispatcher's question about what was going on, the conductor responded that the engineer would not listen to him, and he was frustated with the engineer continually ignoring him, and would the dispatcher please tell the engineer to behave himself!

Now that was one burned-out relationship!

ACLfan
WOW! Talk about sour teamwork!

It's bad enough if you can't get along with the dispatcher, but at least you only have to listen to the DS's voice, and not have to look him straight in the face. :P

#193796  by LCJ

I knew of an engineer once who stopped in front of the DS office in Utica, NY, called and asked to have the conductor removed from the train because he refused to stay awake.

#194430  by BR&P

If you're going to be delayed a few minutes - maybe a truck blocking a customer's siding, the dock guys have to get paperwork to put in the car before they close it, whatever - let the engineer know. It sounds easy sitting on your behind all day at the throttle, but the truth is after a while it feels darn good to stretch your legs, take a whiz, or just get out of that cab a few minutes. Try to give a good estimate so the guy knows how long he has, but a little break from the seat will be appreciated.

#194433  by jg greenwood

BR&P wrote:If you're going to be delayed a few minutes - maybe a truck blocking a customer's siding, the dock guys have to get paperwork to put in the car before they close it, whatever - let the engineer know. It sounds easy sitting on your behind all day at the throttle, but the truth is after a while it feels darn good to stretch your legs, take a whiz, or just get out of that cab a few minutes. Try to give a good estimate so the guy knows how long he has, but a little break from the seat will be appreciated.
Great points BR&P! After about an hour in the seat of some of this antiquated junk the IC has for power your legs are screaming for relief, not to mention your bladder!

#202448  by Engineer Spike

I hate the sleepers, especially when I am tired myself. There are conductors who make a bed first thing. The second thing that I hate is working with a guy who has been on the road as long as I have, but he still doesn't know where he is. Some don't know any of the speeds, or even the names of the interlockings.
In the yard, there are some that like to use the spotlight bulb in the lantern. They insist on shining it in my eyes, especially making a hitch with the engine.

#202558  by Cardfan

I always make sure Im the first one in the cab. After I put my grip down, I walk to the porch to help my old geezer engineer with a bag or two :-D

I dont agree with the "conductor is the foreman" approach. I think it was solely adopted by management to place blame on the conductor. There is absolutely no way a new conductor knows what he is doing all the time. Before making a move I try to pick the engineers brain as much as I can and always do what he thinks best. And if its wrong, well I have job insurance.

#202569  by blippo

A good conductor to me has to have common sense, he has to want to learn and take the effort to know things. I've had conductors that weren't too familiar with yards, but I still could trust them with making setoffs without screwing up. Others I've worked with seem clueless making the same move.

#261926  by NSPeon

Experience
and
Attitude.

A lot more of the first than the second.

#261991  by jg greenwood

Engineer Spike wrote: They insist on shining it in my eyes, especially making a hitch with the engine.
A skosh bit of the head-lites on max. will break that foolishness up in a heart-beat! :wink:

#262072  by thebigc

jg greenwood wrote:
Engineer Spike wrote: They insist on shining it in my eyes, especially making a hitch with the engine.
A skosh bit of the head-lites on max. will break that foolishness up in a heart-beat! :wink:
You guys on CN must have atomic lanterns! Don't even try to compare that to some engineer coming at me for a hitch with the high beam and ditch lights blazing! And if I can't put you in solid right then and there, I'll make it up to you later in the night, for sure! :P

#262138  by jg greenwood

thebigc wrote:
jg greenwood wrote:
You guys on CN must have atomic lanterns! Don't even try to compare that to some engineer coming at me for a hitch with the high beam and ditch lights blazing! And if I can't put you in solid right then and there, I'll make it up to you later in the night, for sure! :P
Where's the blame placed when you exceed the magical 4-mph. coupling speed and a derailment occurs? The engineer for not having his engine/train under control, or, on you for not giving proper car counts?

#262200  by thebigc

jg greenwood wrote: Where's the blame placed when you exceed the magical 4-mph. coupling speed and a derailment occurs? The engineer for not having his engine/train under control, or, on you for not giving proper car counts?
Jeez JG, I wouldn't put you in that solid! I was talking about some good chops-bustin', not trying to hurt someone or get fired!

By the same token, it's hard to give accurate counts when you're staring at the sun! And with the ditch lights, you get seared retinas right up to the hitch! And if you're really lucky, you can get burned by them when you go in for the hoses.

#262202  by jg greenwood

thebigc wrote:
jg greenwood wrote: Where's the blame placed when you exceed the magical 4-mph. coupling speed and a derailment occurs? The engineer for not having his engine/train under control, or, on you for not giving proper car counts?
Jeez JG, I wouldn't put you in that solid! I was talking about some good chops-bustin', not trying to hurt someone or get fired!

By the same token, it's hard to give accurate counts when you're staring at the sun! And with the ditch lights, you get seared retinas right up to the hitch! And if you're really lucky, you can get burned by them when you go in for the hoses.
Thanks there BigC! I was hoping you weren't going to really "weld" me!