Railroad Forums 

• Employment Questions? Train Service/Conductor with UP

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#9581  by watersky

Can any UP guys give me some insight on what to expect from the first year on the job with UP hired on as train service. I am not yet hired but would like to work for UP as a conductor. I specifically would like to know about weather you can expect to be moved around alot. Say you hired on at one location for train service. After several months can UP assign you somewhere else if they are short people at another location. Also, can you hire on to one location and transfer to another if they are hiring at a location you would like to be. I would welcome any and all comments regarding this and any other insight you can give me about your first year on the job. Thanks alot!!!

#175024  by rhallanger

You can be assigned anywhere within your hub. So for example, if you hired out for Roseville CA Hub, you could be assigned (wherever your seniority could take you) from Elko, NV to Oakland, CA - Southern Oregon to Bakersfield or San Luis Obispo. Pretty big area and even if you hired for one location, you could be forced to go to another until seniority allows you to work your way back home.

The good news. You won't be forced to take a job outside of your hub, meaning a Northern California conductor won't be sent to Arizona or Southern California. But the Northern California Conductor may end up bouncing around N CA while building up some seniority.