Railroad Forums 

• EM2000

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#67108  by Jam>s C/

Does anyone have information on EMD's EM2000 device in full detail how it works?

thanks
 #68090  by rr7011

What do you want to know?
 #68888  by Jam>s C/

rr7011 wrote:What do you want to know?
How it work, as detail as possible... :-)

#68905  by mxdata

The EM2000 is a microprocessor based control system and how it "works" depends on its programming, which differs between different models of locomotive in which it is used. Depending on level of discussion the answer to your question could require writing a book. I would suggest you register at eBay and look for the operators manuals of locomotives which use this system. Use the search string "EMD MANUAL" in looking for them. They often show up there and can usually be obtained in the price range of US $25.

#77643  by jesse corbett

EM2000 like other major control system and basically a "standard" programmable logic controller (PLC). PLC's are used on virtually every computerized type machinery today from conveyer belts to mining shovels. EM2000 is EMD's own system developed in house and custom tailored to its locomotives. There are "off the shelf" drop in PLC's that can be modified for locomotives if you are willing to write all the software. Marathon LeTourneau was a the last vendor I know of that was not in the locomotive business yet tried. They used a PLC off of one of their very large crane used to load ships in ports and just tweeked it for a locomotive. You may recall it the locomotive was built new by Republic Locomotive and featured a 149 series Detroit Diesel. Only one was built and I recently saw it again on a WATCO rail dead line while in Witchita. A look on the internet at "HOW TO" on PLC's will likely bring you all you would ever want to know.