Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1138603  by Tadman

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/ ... ral-hurdle

"Construction of the $3.4 billion Elgin-O'Hare Western Access project — one of the Chicago region's top transportation priorities — can start this spring after winning final federal approval."

No word on any provisions for Rapid Transit or Commuter rail. Despite the fact I self-identify as a fiscal conservative, I think it's pure lunacy that we're building limited-access highways in this market without rapid transit down the center.

Also, it's interesting that Dirty Dick Durbin supports this highway (in his state), but wants to close down the SS Badger (other states). Never mind there will be millions of polluting autos on this new highway...
 #1138832  by Milwaukee_F40C

I don't think rail transit fits practically in this particular project.

I wish for limited access highways to be fully privatized, so that users pay the direct upfront costs of accessing infrastructure instead of having those costs subsidized by everyone. Whether or not infrastructure exists, people will adjust their behavior to utilize the options they have available. Had a more market based path been taken for transportation, land use, and energy, things like the North Shore Line might have had a better chance of success.

Durbin is obviously a politician who makes his decisions based on politics and what will get him reelected, rather than keeping any consistent point of view.