Railroad Forums 

• Electric MU configuration

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #998741  by Noel Weaver

The old passenger station in Torrington which was destroyed this year at one time had a really nice solid brass railing in front of the ticket window. The McGinnis bunch went up there on an office car special and a few days later the railing was gone, stolen by one of the "henchmen". They stole a lot more than a brass railing though.
Noel Weaver
 #999237  by dogsboss

Thanks for the reply, re: the Flatbottoms. I grew up in Pelham, N.Y. I remember seeing a flatbottom go by only 2 or 3 times, and my railfan friend and I hung out at Pelham Station a lot after school. We visited Cedar Hill a couple of times, pondering these great loco's in the dead lines there. I remember we got so worked up about them, that we wrote the railroad about buying one (EP-3), if I remember correctly, we even got a reply! Unfortunately I can't remember the dollar amount, but was much higher than we expected!
 #1000173  by chrisnewhaven

To support the claims of EP-2's in freight service and with MU, Shoreliner Vol. 33 Issue 3 has a study in it done on electric freight operations. On Jan 19, 1956, EP-2's 306-305-309 operated a trip to Oak Point from Cedar Hill, and EP-2's 308-307 operated Cedar Hill to Bay Ridge. 308-307-306 operated Harlem River to Cedar Hill, and 304-305 operated Bay Ridge to Cedar Hill on their return trips.
C.J.V.
 #1000279  by Noel Weaver

There were several of these engines that had MU connections on them and their use in freight service mostly between Cedar Hill and Oak Point or Harlem River was quite common in the early to mid 50's. Unfortunately the McGinnis/Alpert bunch replaced all of the electric motors in freight service with diesels in the late 50's.
Noel Weaver
 #1000314  by TCurtin

The "Engine Assignment" book for 10/30/55 shows three EP2s assigned to freights HR-2/RH-1 between Oak Point & Danbury. However, at that date the Danbury line was out of service following flood damage on 10/15/55. I don't know what power was assigned to that job following restoration of service several weeks later, or whether in fact that job ever operated again after the flood. i have often wondered.