• Edaville Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by daylight4449

papabarn wrote:
On their [b][color=#0000ff][url=https://www.facebook.com/EdavilleUSA]Facebook page on July 24th, 2012, Edaville USA[/url][/color][/b] wrote:At the time we announced that we where having a steam engine built we where not in neogiations with a magazine or TV show to document the process. Since we are in neogiations with them we are not allowed to share any further details at thi
s time. Once we are able to we will. The new steam engine will be complete in June of 2013. We will be running our other steam engine during 2012, watch the website for dates. We would like to that all of you who support us at Edaville USA.
I have no comment at this time other than HUH?!?!?!
Well, they DID give solid confirmation for a engine for next summer. Looks like the documentation process-whatever came after the word first got out. It's not everyday a steam locomotive sees roughly a year between the start of construction and completion. Most projects like this take years, so it's candy for producers and writers who want to document the process. In other words, instant gratification.
  by steamer69

Nice new engine with no where to run. Sad. Maybe they'll take it up to WW&F to shake it down and let it stretch it's legs. I hope they know what they're doing. They can't keep the place open for a season, but they have the capitol to build a new engine. Something sounds a little fishy to me......
  by daylight4449

steamer69 wrote:Nice new engine with no where to run. Sad. Maybe they'll take it up to WW&F to shake it down and let it stretch it's legs. I hope they know what they're doing. They can't keep the place open for a season, but they have the capitol to build a new engine. Something sounds a little fishy to me......
I would imagine it falls under capital improvement and investment. The M10000 and Pioneer Zephyr were great examples. Not only that, two steam engines means more steam. If the train is packed when Anne Elizabeth runs, then can it be assumed that with double steam, then double the amount of full trains. That equates to income, and last I checked there is some roller coasters expected for 2014 and water rides by next year at the earliest. So management is trying to diversify. Railfans don't pay the bills, so getting more people into Edaville will have to do.
  by steamer69

Turning Edaville into an amusement park is a much more plauseable idea to me. That being said, I highly doubt that they are going to get double the people with double the locomotives. Edaville has only a couple of "boom" times a year, and that's when the people will come, irreguardless of weather or not they have two steam engines. Christmas time is Edavilles bread and butter. They have to do some very creatinve thinking to make it relivent the rest of the year. So far, that has not happened......
  by MaineCoonCat

steamer69 wrote:Christmas time is Edavilles bread and butter.
IMHO, without Peacedale and the moonlight ride around the reservoir, that bread is mouldy and with store brand margarine. Just my opinion.
  by 3rdrail

Hahaha!!! Without a doubt, but let's admit that maybe for now at least, they seem to be headed in the right direction. The ROW has shrunk - no bringing that back to life probably, but a Christmas light festival with new buildings constructed over a few weekends, albeit not the beloved traditional ones, might still be able to elicit that old time feel. Also, what would be new for us would be "traditional" for our kids and it would be a nice legacy to hand over.
  by steamer69

I wouldn't hold my breath just yet......
  by MaineCoonCat

steamer69 wrote:I wouldn't hold my breath just yet......
Agreed! I'm hoping that:
At the time we announced that we where having a steam engine built we where not in neogiations with a magazine or TV show to document the process. Since we are in neogiations with them we are not allowed to share any further details at this time.
isn't just a smaller version of famous whoppers like:
The Central Artery/Tunnel Project will only cost taxpayers around 2.8 billion dollars..
to be followed at a later date by some kind of new and improved version of:
The dog ate my homework..
I dunno.. I'll buy it when I see some kind of proof.
Talk is cheap..
  by MaineCoonCat

Not directly related to the railroad itself, but the park;
On August 13th, 2012 on their [url=https://www.facebook.com/EdavilleUSA][b][color=#0000ff]Facebook page,[/color] Edaville [color=blue]U.[/color][color=white]S.[/color][color=red]A.[/color][/b][/url] wrote:We are going back to the old style bbq pits
Hmmmmmmm... ??? <pop!> Does perhaps a ray of light pierce the gloom? Is there hope for the valiant little railroad after all? Tune in again next week... <buzzzzzzz!> <crackle!> many cookies did Andrew eat, Andrew ate eight thou.. <buzzzz!> Image
  by number7

Very interesting, just what we need, more unrealistic reality tv. Actually if it helps pay the bills, it's not a bad idea.

As for the new engine, it is a positive step. I would expect a little boost in business because some people will want to see the new engine first hand.

Two steam engines at a competent operation would mean that they would be able to operate steam all the time. At Edaville, the best we can hope for is that somehow they will be able to have at least one steam engine in operating condition some of the time.

As important as steam power is, it's only part of the equation. Track is just as important. After all, you don't want to just look at the engine, you want a good ride behind the new engine.

Unfortunately, at this time, they cannot provide a suitable ride. Their new engine will be little better than a static display.

But, it is a step in the right direction.

Discerning railfans will not go down to Edaville, even if they got 10 new steam engines, until the former loop around the reservoir is restored.

At that point, it will be worth visiting and paying admission.

Non-discerning railfans who do go down to see the new engine should not pay to get in but should watch from the parking lot, grab a video and a few pictures then go off and do something productive.

So, it's too bad we have to wait another year to get an answer to the 64 dollar question. Are they going to build the engine using plans from one of the original Maine two footers?

It would be nice if they did.

It's important to not get sidetracked by the new steam engine. Yawn, it's a new engine. I am modifying an old slogan to cover this situation.

Instead of "It's the economy, stupid" we need to constantly remind them that "It's the track, stupid".

This new engine is a small step in the right direction. Couple that with a 5 mile loop, more static displays, the chicken BBQ, the return of the water tower, cranberry jct station, Peacedale put back where it was, restoration of the bypass track and all of the former sidings, and a decent museum and you return to a place of quality.

It's like an orchestra, the loss of any one instrument is not a problem, however, in order to get the full rich sound, all of the instruments are required. No single instrument can do the job on it's own.

It's also like a model railroad, cut a model railroads mainline down to 1/3 what it was, remove it's water tower, remove most of the sidings, get rid of the turntable, lose the station, scrap any engines that aren't running and all of a sudden you are left with a rather boring layout. If you add another engine to your layout, it's a step in the right direction, but taken as a whole, the layout is still pretty dull.

Everything that those fools tore down or ripped up added character to the railroad. Unfortunately they didn't have the intelligence to see that even an unused and rusty siding with a broken down old boxcar on it adds character to the railroad.

Even if you don't use it or need it, leave the turntable in, it add character, it's something to look at.

Same thing with the water tower.

Cranberry Jct station was not there just as a station, it was there to enhance the railroad experience. Everything that they tore down and ripped was there to enhanced the railroad experience in addition to it's other functions.

That reminds me, I remember seeing a picture taken by Savery Moore I think it was. It was a picture of Mr. Priscoli after he left the front passenger coach and got up on the side of the diesel engine just as the engine was passing by the main parking lot. I'm surprised he didn't tip the thing over. I'm still trying to figure out why he felt the need to go from the front coach to the engine while it was in motion. Was the engineer disabled or was Priscoli just being an idiot? Yeah, I'd say that is probably what it was.

So, before getting too excited about a new engine, don't forget that we're still missing a station, a water tower, numerous sidings, several miles of rail, a turntable, lots of sidings, as well as static displays. In other words, they've still got a LONG way to go. What's sad is that if they go that long distance, they'll only be back where they started before Priscoli took the wrecking ball to the place.
  by 3rdrail

Hey...great news !!! I just heard from a very reliable confidential source that the Flying Yankee Restoration Team, having had such remarkable and record breaking success in previous projects, is now heading south to take on Edaville !!! Yay !!! It's in the bag !!!

(Don't believe it ? Well, you'd be right, except when you see news like that, doesn't it give you a fuzzy warm feeling all over that things could be a lot worse ?) :-)
  by steamer69

BWAAAAA HAAAAA HAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! huge deep breath........ BWAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAAA!!!!!!

Maybe Edaville will start auctioning off parts from the Sugar burner at their next "gala" where they spend over half their operating budget on nothing. You have hit the nail on the head 3rd rail.....it could be a whole lot worse. Speeking of the yankmee, shoot me a P.M. I've gotten a little bit more news on it. And I know how much you enjoyed the last little bit of news that I gave you.....
  by steamer69

READER FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!

Come on Reader, don't tell me that you no longer like the 470.....I mean with Frankinengine and all.......

In all honesty they (Edaville) don't need the 470 or the flying yankmee to fall flat on their faces. Doing it just fine on their own. This is just anoth clasic example of how we here in New England (with a very few exceptions) can't railroad our way out of a wet paper bag with a hole in both ends and a slit up the middle. We've even had employees of the place come on here and blather away chomping on shoe leather, solidifying the fact that they don't know their butt from a hole in the ground. This is no different than the 470, and the Yankmee. Until someone who actually cares about the equipment (instead of thumping their chest) comes in and takes over.....this is the future of railroad preservation in New England.....because that is what people are seeing.....
  by Cosmo

steamer69 wrote:READER FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!

Come on Reader, don't tell me that you no longer like the 470.....I mean with Frankinengine and all.......

In all honesty they (Edaville) don't need the 470 or the flying yankmee to fall flat on their faces. Doing it just fine on their own. This is just another classic example of how we here in New England (with a very few exceptions) can't railroad our way out of a wet paper bag with a hole in both ends and a slit up the middle. We've even had employees of the place come on here and blather away chomping on shoe leather, solidifying the fact that they don't know their butt from a hole in the ground. This is no different than the 470, and the Yankmee. Until someone who actually cares about the equipment (instead of thumping their chest) comes in and takes over.....this is the future of railroad preservation in New England.....because that is what people are seeing.....
WOAH! Hold the phone dude...
" we here in New England (with a very few exceptions) can't railroad our way out of a wet paper bag"
and
"this is the future of railroad preservation in New England"
I'm sorry, but I GOTTA step in and fly the yellow flag with the picture of the bull on it here.
First off, Edaville is no longer in the "preservation"business. The've been in the AMUSEMENT PARK business for a long time now. They're doing some hard learning about what works and what doesn't, BUT... they're finally realizing they're aan amusement park with a train... CENTERED around a train ride. But don't merely lump them in with RAILROAD'S here in NE. If that were the case, then Lake Compounce would be running under NORAC.
Also,... there are PLENTY of fine examples of preservation here. There are GOOD museums, collections as well as operations. By throwing Edaville in like that, you slight all the other operations like Hobo, Clarks, Passumpsic, MNGR, WW&F and of course The Valley RR. Oh, and don't forget BOOTHBAY, who they called to HELP get thier engine running again.
Now, don't get me wrong, of course we all know that past management corporeally violated the original collection and sullied the gem that Edaville was, but that is PAST.
Let's give them credit for getting one engine working and at least TRYING to go the right direction.
FYG and 470 are NOT the end-all/be-all when it comes to NE RR preservation.