• Edaville Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by number7

Interestingly enough the idea of a campground came up in 2008.

http://www.wickedlocal.com/carver/news/ ... z1vLK6TOVK

The link above is to an article that explains Priscoli's plans and includes a photo of him explaining them.

This was back when he owned most of the land.

I don't know what happened but I think the idea was a good one provided it could be done without negatively impacting the railroad.
  by MaineCoonCat

Bobbi Sistrunk, GateHouse News Service wrote:Delli Priscoli said he wants to rebuild the original loop of the railroad and also use a trolley system to connect all areas of the campground. The Edaville shops would be relocated.
I find the above statement from the second page most interesting. It appears that then on February 13th of 2009 the land on the northwest side of the reservoir was sold to Cranebrook (Makepeace) [From the assessors' database], thus likely putting the "Royal Kabosh" on this plan. Hmmm.. Took about 287 days...

Read more: Tent-ative plans - Carver, MA - Wicked Local Carver http://www.wickedlocal.com/carver/news/ ... z1vMU2mZZA
  by bostontrainguy

number7 wrote:Interestingly enough the idea of a campground came up in 2008.
Wow . . . that's crazy. I never heard about that. I got the inspiration from Darien Lake Theme Park/Campground in upper state New York. Also Walt Disney World had a train running through it's original campground but removed it because it kept derailing.

I can't tell from those pictures exactly where he planned to put the campground. I was thinking that the train could act similar to Disney World's Monorail and become the transportation system for the new "park". It would run to "Edaville Village" (kids rides/restaurant/museum), the beach (yeah on the present track to nowhere), and the campground (not exactly sure where it would be located). So it's a train ride but also becomes the main way to get around.
  by number7

That Darien Lake looks like an interesting place. Never heard of it before. Went to their website to check it out. Expensive and no wifi at the campsites.

I remember the train at Ft. Wilderness and seeing the train when I was down there as a kid in the early 70's.

Too bad they took it out. My understanding is that they wanted to put in more campsites.

The idea of a campground at Edaville was a very good one in my opinion. It's too bad that it didn't work out.

They would have had to make some arrangements for swimming and some other things to keep people entertained. Not sure that they could have had too many campsites since most of the land is cranberry bogs and wetlands. The land up at the ballfield, now developed, certainly could have been used.

In his proposal, there was talk of rerouting the mainline onto Eda Ave thus leading me to believe that the overflow lot and the land west of Eda Ave was to be used for campsites. I don't like that plan. I say keep the main line where it was and put the campsites around it.

The campground would have provided income from May until late fall which would be a big improvement over what they have now.

Cabeese and standard gauge coaches could be brought in and used as rentals for people who don't own RV's.

Said cabeese and coaches could have been placed strategically around the 5.5 mile loop and rented at a premium.
  by daylight4449

NErailfan wrote:Not to hijack, but since Edaville was brought up, and in question. Does anyone know what the h#ll they are building down there for there second steam engine? I really want to like that place, but they are so (for lack of better words) WEIRD...
This came up with the MNGRR thread. What is this about a second engine???
  by bostontrainguy

daylight4449 wrote:
NErailfan wrote:Not to hijack, but since Edaville was brought up, and in question. Does anyone know what the h#ll they are building down there for there second steam engine? I really want to like that place, but they are so (for lack of better words) WEIRD...
This came up with the MNGRR thread. What is this about a second engine???
There are reports that Edaville is building (or buying?) a "NEW" steam engine. What exactly that means is not known.
  by MaineCoonCat

bostontrainguy wrote:There are reports that Edaville is building (or buying?) a "NEW" steam engine. What exactly that means is not known.
Supposedly according to Facebook posts, this will be coal fired. There have been numerous requests over the past few months on their Facebook page for photos or other credible evidence. So far these requests have either been met with an ambiguous "coming soon" or ignored. Frankly, I am beginning to have doubt that this will come to fruition.
  by 3rdrail

I don't know. From a pure economical standpoint (I'm not going to kid myself that it's awe of the iron horse), I would think that a steam engine would pay for itself quickly with increased sales, particularly in winter time. Even those paying customers (who happen to be the majority) who are not buffs appreciate the charm and unusualness of a steamer now, which I believe to be part of the draw. I'm sure that Edaville management has had a few executive meetings where they have tried to figure out "what did they have that we don't ?" I hope that this is the case because the more that they try to emulate the Edaville of old, the more that everyone, buff and non-buff, will get more out of the experience (including reaping in dough).
  by Mikejf

I have also heard they have a project in the works. Keeping a tight lid on it.
  by MaineCoonCat

Actually, I think the first word of this in this forum was this post by NErailfan back on April 23rd..
  by Cosmo

miketrainnut wrote:I have also heard they have a project in the works. Keeping a tight lid on it.
I heard something today, but as it was 2nd hand WOM I will wait for further confirmation.
  by NErailfan

Yes that date (April 23rd) is correct. A few weeks huh? Well at least they operate like a real RR. "Hurry up, and wait"
  by MaineCoonCat

On their [b][color=#0000ff][url=https://www.facebook.com/EdavilleUSA]Facebook page on July 24th, 2012, Edaville USA[/url][/color][/b] wrote:At the time we announced that we where having a steam engine built we where not in neogiations with a magazine or TV show to document the process. Since we are in neogiations with them we are not allowed to share any further details at thi
s time. Once we are able to we will. The new steam engine will be complete in June of 2013. We will be running our other steam engine during 2012, watch the website for dates. We would like to that all of you who support us at Edaville USA.
I have no comment at this time other than HUH?!?!?!
  by 3rdrail

They might have as a condition of their contract with a media company a "silence clause". Hey, if it will help Edaville make the long climb back towards where it was, I'm all for it ! Perhaps the suspense of a televised unveiling (and good old fashioned railroad festival ???) might do the 'ole gal some good.
  by steamer69

Maybe they can use the royalties from the show to put in some track.....

Nawwwww, that would make sence......