Railroad Forums 

• Eat Your Hearts Out.

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #112041  by Paul

This is how we at the class ones do it. The first of 300 to be delivered.

With this new 4,500 Hp 12 cylinder engine...

And add almost two thousand of these...

Plus about 5,000 other locomotives. :-D

#112085  by lirrmike

Hey, did you pay UP their fee to use their likeness in a photo?

Mike

#112093  by Jayjay1213

I would bust a nut, I would love to run one of those, but if done on NYA property, there would be spread rail every time those things moved 5 feet.
Do either of those models have a desktop control stand, or the conventional type?

#112096  by mutz155

THAT JUST PROVES MY POINT. THANK YOU AND HAVE A NICE DAY.

#112128  by Paul

The control stand gets interesting. The vast majority of GE and EMD wide cabs are desk style, how ever, they are going back to the wide cab with a more traditional "standard" control stand. Gauges and meters are mounted on the same plane as the windshield.

SD-70M control stand , new "old" style

GE C44ACTE "desk top" control stand.

I didn't have time to get into the cab of that new C45ACTE but I do believe the cab configuration is equivalant to the newer SD70M type. I will try to grab a shot at work tonight if any come in.

#112237  by jayrmli

I remember reading awhile back that the UP SD70 order went back to a lot of things that were considered "old." Conventional control stand, analog gauges, etc. Apparently, the crews like it better and they're easier to troubleshoot over the road. (When I see a pull cord to blow the horn, then I know they really went retro!)

Jay

#112302  by Paul

The initial UP order was for one thousand SD70Ms with standard 710G engines that were govenor equiped, 26LUL air brake, conventional gauges, and desk top control stands. Then the order was added to with locomotives meeting Tier 1 emmisions. These engines have the EM2000 and Emdec computers, but still retain the 26LUL air brake. This order was even split further with cab modifactions at the nese door. Some have the standard desk top, some have the "new old" style contoller with standard 26C auto and SA26 indpendent brake valves. Next inline for delivery are 300 + SD70ACEe Tier 2 emmisions locomotives. These have a carbody very similar to the SD90MAC-2s, however, these are straight AC locomotives, 16/710 engines with air starters and i am sure will have either EPPIC or KNORR air brake. These will be numbered in the 8000 series.

#112423  by Jayjay1213

Paul, in the picture to the SD70M, I only see a guage for the Brake pipe and brake cylinder, as well as the air flow guage. AM I mistaken? Where is the guage for the Main Res. and Equalizing Res. ? In the computer screen, or do the new engines nowadays have a whole different setup?

Thanks

Jason

#112714  by Paul

If you look at the digital display, there are two blue bars to the top left of the speed indicator. That displays EQ res and Brake pipe preasure as a bar graph. Brake Cylinder is simply displayed in numeric form as is Main Res preassure. The yellow square is indicating 'No EOT comunication", The red square is PCS indication. Some of the other functions are not on this screan as set becuz it's showing the 'maintenance" menu on the display. When I have time I will take pictures of the various display modes close up. I may not get it posted until Sunday or Monday. Also note the digital camcorder mounted to the right of the AFI.