Railroad Forums 

• Eastside/East Concord depot question

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1043851  by Manalishi

Hello All-

I've seen a picture of the Eastside/East Concord depot recently and was curious how long it stood and when it was torn down. I'm assuming it's gone although I can't find an information as to whether it's gone or still standing on the NH Railroad Stations site.

Chris
 #1045062  by joshg1

As far as I can tell it was right next to the river crossing. I'm assuming you know the area, so it is that parking area down the dirt lane off W. Portsmouth St, near the railway bridge. The station was still being used in 1946, but the line was moved, a city bridge removed, and the streets changed *around* 1960, when 93 was extended. The Concord Public Library has a Concord Room which might have a source of details. As far as I know the old copies of the Monitor (I'm sure it published exactly what you want to know) haven't been indexed.
 #1045747  by Manalishi

Thanks for the reply. I did contact the Concord Library and found out it was at the end of Carpenter St. and was standing in the late 1950s, possible into the 1960s but was eventally torn down. The article I read didn't say when, however. I was curious about it as I'd seen a vintage photo of it recently and thought it was one of the most attractive stations I'd ever seen (and I've seen plenty). A shame Concord couldn't have found a buyer or an alternative use for it but I guess you could say that about pretty much every B&M station that has been demolished.