Railroad Forums 

• Eastern Shore RR?

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#285559  by steamman5320

Great Photos! I love the one of me and the yardmaster on the flat, I'm the guy with the blue shirt and light colored jeans on. Also a great shot of the train coming around the S-curve at the airport.

I don't know who owns the S1, I've never seen anyone mess with it other then us having to switch it around because it is always in the way!

I am trying to get the old ALCo RSX-4 (railfan dubbed MRS1) running again. I've gotten copies of all the manuals for that locomotive. I'm a diesel mechanic with the Navy, and started working with the railroad part time. It was used very little when purchased, and is in relatively good shape for sitting idle so long. The copper contacts in the electrical cabinet look brand new. Whoever mothballed her did it right. I think with a set of batteries I could get her rolling fairly easily. I somehow doubt that the railroad will put any money into it though. I think it would be great to use for unloading the barge, and as a back up engine on the Little Creek division.

The Plasser railcar and flats are just there for storage, the railroad doesn't own them.

The 2014 is on lease for another 2 years. Yes, the railroad lost the contract for the Shenandoah Valley.

I don't know if they are scraping the 8096, but I do know that they are taking enough parts off of her to make her only worth scrap. They want to scrap GP-10 #2001 as well, but only because she is throwing allot of oil and they don't feel like changing some rings. What a waste.

The train crews in Cape Charles are worried about the #400. They say they will probably tear her up pulling too many cars. With the #2001 and the #8096 gone, that leaves GP-10 #2000 and the #400 as the only power on the Eastern Shore.

Again, great photos! Could you email me some copies?

#285860  by jay611

Sure can. PM me your Email and i'll send you the whole set.

#286392  by VaCentralRwy

There was an article in today's Eastern Shore News on the revival of the ESHR complete with a photo of the #400 arriving in Cape Charles on the barge. If I knew what I was doing, I'd post the link. just search for Eastern Shore News and away you go.

#286397  by jay611

400 looks damn fine!
Shot these today 8-26-06 in Cape Charles

#286433  by CBRy

Any new motive power scheduled to be bought to replace the units
that have gone? Lack of reserves could hurt in a pinch........

#286529  by jay611

I read to gas inter-urban Edwards Motor cars are on order now. They may have to use the MRS1's at some point. B2085 runs last time I checked, err it ran in 1996 atleast.

#286644  by steamman5320

Yes, they want to use the Motor cars for passenger trains.

I think they will lease more power if anything goes wrong before they put any money into the Alcos.

I haven't heard of any more new power on order other then the Motor Cars.
Last edited by steamman5320 on Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#286705  by steamman5320

SPECIAL ALERT!

I just found out GP-15 #400 will be making its maden run up to Pocomoke TONIGHT, Aug 27 at midnight. I will arrive back in Cape Charles around noon tomorrow, Monday the 28th.

So if you get a chance to get trackside tonight or tomorrow morning, you should see her.

#290637  by steamman5320

The #400 is down with mechanical issues for the near future. Apparently it wasn't as 'reconditioned' as they thought.

Some of the wiring or circuit cards are bad, so the ditch lights are acting funny and the engine will just be pulling along and drop the load and it takes 10-30 mins. before she will move again.
Last edited by steamman5320 on Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#290878  by jay611

Looks like they may need the MRS1's after all!

Not to mention most of the coachs are still steam powered, and the MRS1's are steam generator equipped
 #328637  by RailVet

Virginia Passenger Train Hooks Town Merchants

EXMORE — Plans to run passenger railway excursions from Cape Charles to Exmore next year met a warm response from Exmore business owners Wednesday.

Larry LeMond, vice-president of operations for Bay Creek Railway — the passenger division of parent Bay Coast Railroad — said at a meeting of the Greater Exmore Business Association that the railroad plans to begin weekend dinner trips from Cape Charles to Exmore in the spring.

LeMond said corporate outings and weddings, and themed events like tasting trips for wine enthusiasts and “pizza trains” for young people and are also in the works for the passenger line.

Two circa 1913 Interurban Parlor Cars, one a 42-seat passenger car and the other a dining car that seats 40, are being refurbished by an Alabama company for the new venture. The renovations are expected to be finished by February.

Conductors on the passenger train will also serve as hosts, and will be versed in local history of the towns the train passes through as well as on local railroad history, LeMond said.

Much of the track has been upgraded to allow for passenger speeds up to 30 mph since Bay Creek Resort founder Dickie Foster took over railroad operations in a 30-year lease agreement signed last fall with the Accomack-Northampton Transportation Commission, owner of the rail line and equipment.

Carol Vaughn
The Daily Times
December 1, 2006
www.delmarvanow.com

#333400  by chefwrg

anyone now if the track upgrades ahve happened? I was over there last winter waterfow hunting and that track left a little (well, a lot) to be desired...

#348666  by park

I would like to inquire a few questions about Eastern Shore Locomotives:

* Were any units besides 17, 200, 8096 and 8066 in the green paint scheme?
* Did any units vesides the #2000 receive the black and red scheme?
* Did a second C420 ( 203? ) ever exits besides # 200?

Thanks in advance

park

#456097  by Franklin Gowen

Greetings! Are there any further updates on the condition of #400, the hoped-for track upgrades on the Cape Charles Division, or the dinner trains? Inquiring minds want to know. There was a lot of good insider news and railfan pictues dating back to last summer (2006!), then silence. What's going on???

#456816  by steamman5320

The #400 should be back up and running soon, don't know about the track upgrades, and the cars for the dinner/passenger train aren't ready yet, supposed to be delivered in Nov. last I heard.