Railroad Forums 

• East Wind

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #642918  by jrs363

Does anyone know what the New Haven used for power on the Pre War "East Wind" train that had the specaily paint consist?
 #644130  by chnhrr

I remember purchasing a magazine that had an article on the “East Wing”. Right now, I can’t find it in my collection. One of the pictures showed a New Haven EP-3 pulling the seasonal train through the Bronx. I assume a GG-1 would have commenced the journey from Washington’s Union Station. If I can find the magazine, I’ll post the picture.
 #644291  by Noel Weaver

In the last years operation of the East Wind between New York (Grand Central Terminal) and Portland, Maine there would of
course be an electric motor between New York and New Haven. It could be any motor as the train wasn't terribly big. East of
New Haven to Worcester in the days of steam it was most likely an I-4 class Pacific just about all of the time and after the
diesels came it was usually an single unit DL-109 (0700 class) although I suppose any cab signal and steam generator
equipped unit could have done the job. Of course the NHRR engine came off at Worcester and a Boston and Main engine and
crew took over from there for the trip to Portland.
After the floods of August 19, 1955 the East Wind never ran again between New York and Portland even though other routes
were available on the New Haven Railroad for that train to run over. Remember that 1955 was the time of Patrick McGinnis
on the New Haven and this guy was a destroyer of railroads. He ruined every property he touched and ended up in prison.
Noel Weaver
 #665602  by ex Budd man

The East Wind consist is available in "O" gauge from MTH. I never even heard of it until I saw it in the catalogue.