Railroad Forums 

• East Brookfield & Spencer RR

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#183065  by Bsskng001

hello all! first of all i would like to say "hello" to everyone and let you know that i am new to this site. i currently work for a small non-union shortline railroad in central mass. it is called "East Brookfield & Spencer RR". now i know i will get some slack for us not being non-union,but let me just say this now before i get hate responses....the employees and myself are mostly new to railroading and "we" have talked in private about the union and "we" all agree that a union would be most welcome here...not only would this greatly increase our incomes but also help secure our employment. to be honest we everyone,we do not want to be the one to be fired for trying to start a union,like most of you we have familys to look after and cant really risk that.but if anyone would like to point "me" in the right direction it would be very appreciated.now my qestion is how do i start a new forum under the "active rr" called "EBSR". i know that we are not as big as "p&w" or "necrr" or CSX but i think this would be a good forum for info to all that come into contact with our railroad. thank you. :-D

#183384  by GOLDEN-ARM

If you want some honest talk, about the pros and cons of the union, and want to have help organizing, without laying your job on the line, send me your contact info, via private message, and I will get you in contact with the BLE-T organizing folks, who will contact you directly, and will send you some info, about the union, and the process of unionizing. You are aware that it's illegal to fire someone for contacting a union, and attempting to organize yourselves, right? No pressure, hassle or publicity, will come from this contact. They are quiet, and discreet, regarding contact with those looking to join the Brotherhood, or for those just interested in some solid, reliable information. GOOD LUCK :-D

#183591  by Bsskng001

thank you for the info,and i will try and contact you shortly. yes,im aware that they cannot fire someone for trying to orginize,but private companys have other ways to make your life hell,and find some stupid reason to "let you go" if you know what i mean. but again thank you very much. im sorry if this message is not suited for this thread but i need to let all CSX guys or employees from the westbough yard not to hop on EBSR employees for taking their jobs as all of us were not even aware about the situation happing at all. we just were looking for work and to get into a railroad from the ground was just damn cool. and also i have read in these other threads about us being "scabs".....how so...i didnt see any pickit lines or any other strike going on,plus im not sure if you guys are aware that CSX owns the facility in E.Brookfields and pays for its upkeep. sorry for bitching about this but i felt this needs to be put to rest and at least defend ourselves on this issue. thank you :wink:

#184097  by Otto Vondrak

Welcome aboard! We'd love to hear more about your railroad- please post in the New England Railfan Forum... the information would be most welcome there!

-otto-

#184143  by CSX Conductor

It is common knowledge to most of us that CSXT owns the land, and actually is the parent company of the EBSRR, in an attempt to bust the unions and get cheaper labor, which is why we are all disgusted by the whole arrangement. Let's not forget the fact that nothing is moving up there. :(

By the way, the phrase "scab" is also referred to someone doing a union employee's work without being in the union. I hate to sound harsh, but even if you guys do join the BLE&T or the UTU, that will not gain any respect from many of the CSX guys. Even the dispatchers hate the operation....especially since there have been a few occasions in which the ESBRR has open the switch without permission, which could kill someone
!! :(