Railroad Forums 

• dynamic braking train from lead engine w/o dynamics

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#727779  by DutchRailnut

no, to control dynamic brake the locomotive must have controls to do so.
Some newer locomotives however, (mostly passenger) have a function called blended brake where dynamic brake is controlled by brake pipe, so for those locomotive no special control are needed.
 #727792  by Jtgshu

DutchRailnut wrote:no, to control dynamic brake the locomotive must have controls to do so.
Some newer locomotives however, (mostly passenger) have a function called blended brake where dynamic brake is controlled by brake pipe, so for those locomotive no special control are needed.
Something I have always wondered, but never been able to get an answer on or find out for myself.......(keep in mind I work for a commuter/passenger railroad with passenger GP40s)

When running a work train, or making a trip up to the quarrey to pick up the loaded hoppers, does the dynamics work on the trailing engine if the lead engine has blended brakes?

My RR has passenger Geeps with blended brakes, while we also have non-revenue GP40s with seperate dynamic brake controls.

Bailing off kills the blended brakes, and kicks off the dynamic/blended braking on the passenger unit. Would bailing off on the lead pax unit kill the dynamics on the seperate dynamic brake equipped trailing loco?

Also, the same in revese....if the lead loco had seperate dynamic brake controls, and the trailing unit had blended brakes, would the dynamics/blended brakes follow the controls of the lead, "real" dynamic brake equipped loco, or do their own thing and react by the brake pipe?
o
I know it might be impossible to answer, depending on how the individual locos are set up, im just wondering if anyone else has ever dealt with this situation?
 #727887  by NV290

.Taurus. wrote:Hello
Can a leader, without own dynamic brakes, slow down a train by
using the dynamic brakes of the other engine in the consist ?
So is there a dynamic brake handle in the cab of an engine w/o dynamics ?

click me for an example @ rp.net

Bye :P
As Dutch said, a locomotive built without dynamic brakes will not have the dynamic brake controls. However, to clarify, the controlling locomotive does not need to have operable Dynamic Brakes in order to control the dynamic brakes in the rest of the consist. Their have been many instances where i had defective dynamic brakes on the lead unit and was still able to control the consist.

Edited by a Moderator (bbcode) 10-19-09 234AM CDT
 #728585  by EDM5970

One thing to never say on these forums is never (or something to that effect). There are always exceptions, special situations, field modifications, etc.

I just bought a copy of Trackside on the Western Maryland (Morning Sun) featuring the photography of George Lielich. Mr. Lielich was VP Operations for the WM. He made an effort to get maximum utilization out of all of his motive power. The BL-2s, purchased before he got there, were not equipped with DB. To enable them to be used as lead units on the road, the Hagerstown shop added DB controls. I don't know if they put in a new control stand, built with DB controls, or just added them to the existing stand. (It can be done with four wires, a couple of good toggle switches, a relay, and a 50 ohm rheostat-).

I suspect Mr. Lielich had a lot to do with nose MU on the Fs and FAs, and the lowered MU connections on the RS-2s and RS-3s as well. All in the name of greater equipment utilization-
 #729180  by ENR3870

EDM5970 wrote:One thing to never say on these forums is never (or something to that effect). There are always exceptions, special situations, field modifications, etc.

I just bought a copy of Trackside on the Western Maryland (Morning Sun) featuring the photography of George Lielich. Mr. Lielich was VP Operations for the WM. He made an effort to get maximum utilization out of all of his motive power. The BL-2s, purchased before he got there, were not equipped with DB. To enable them to be used as lead units on the road, the Hagerstown shop added DB controls. I don't know if they put in a new control stand, built with DB controls, or just added them to the existing stand. (It can be done with four wires, a couple of good toggle switches, a relay, and a 50 ohm rheostat-).
Yes, there are some units out there without DB, but have controls for the DB. I personally have never seen a locomotive with DB controls but no DB. The locomotives we have either have DB or don't.