Railroad Forums 

• DPM - David P. Morgan, Trains Editor Emeritus

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#68553  by Gilbert B Norman

David P. Morgan Editor, TRAINS 1953-1987

The finest writer ever to chronicle railroad industry matters.

My "favorite editorial listing"

Chico Calls it Quits
Excuse the First Person
Norfolk & Western Goes Diesel

et magna alia

#68567  by AmtrakFan

I always thought that DPM was the best Trains Editor ever.

AmtrakFan

#68840  by railohio

I was a bigger fan of JDI and KPK myself. I think a lot of the DPM mystique comes from the era he was around in.
 #68890  by 2nd trick op

It's fitting, somehow, that in attempting to pay tribute to Dave Morgan, I find myself struggling for words.

You didn't appreciate Mr. Morgan's unique take on the industry the first few times you read him; you had to review the same prose months or even years later. You had to compare the personal sentiments expressed in one of the many two-page vignettes he penned over the years, vs. the inisghts offered in his monthly editorials, vs. the narratives of his own experiences, which covered a huge breadth of subject matter.

His stewardship of Trains paralelled, for the most part, the long and slow decline of the industry's once-dominant position that, to borrow a "Morganism", "took most of the goodies out of the Guide". Yet throughout this period, David P. Morgan somehow managed to convey the message that the basic strengths of this industry would allow it to endure and, eventually, rise again and prosper.

Dave's retirement from a position for which he was so perfectly suited came as a suprise, and I suppose a lot of us guessed he wasn't going to be around too much longer. It's to be hoped that his insight allowed him to foresee how the industry would come roaring back.

When "outsiders" ask me why I find the railroad scene so intriguing, I often compare a few hours at Altoona or Cumberland to a visit to the mountains or the seacoast -- the view, the opportunity to reflect, puts other things in perspective. I think Dave Morgan would understand that simile .... perfectly.

#68931  by Gilbert B Norman

Aptly noted in your always eloquent style, Mr. 2nd Trick.

DPM indeed was called upon to chronicle the decline and fall of the industry. It is both ironic and tragic that he did lot live to chronicle its renaissance.
 #222292  by Tom Curtin

By the way, he went by "David" --- he didn't use a nickname.

It's interesting to reflect that both of Kalmbach Publishing's dominant editors of that period: David Morgan of Trains and Linn Westcott of Model Railroader have proven to be tough acts to follow. Both enjoyed a very lengthy tenure in their respective positions; and since they retired there has been a lot of turnover on the editorship of both magazines.

A lifelong chain smoker, Morgan died predictably, and relatively young, of emphysema.
 #222765  by henry6

What DPM did for me was bring a passion and understanding of what we were looking at and studying far beyond mere nostalgia or jumbled technical jargon. He had a respect for the subject at hand while also respect for his readers...he made you feel about trains and railroading and not just be a reader of words. Plus he was able to get this same enthusiasm and feeling for the subject from his writers. But there did come a point toward the end where he maybe acted or seemed more arrogant and above than having the feet of clay which we all have.