Railroad Forums 

• Downers Grove Yard

• Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
 #8464  by BN7151

Does anybody have any information on Downers Grove Yard? I live near there and have seen the old boarded-up "watchtower". I'd appreciate any information from any time period since it was built. I understand it is the only section of the line with five tracks.
 #8714  by Engineer Spike

Downer's Grove yard used to be for suburban trains. Years ago some of them tied up there. The tower was used in pre CTC days. There was also a 4th main west of there.

#8741  by BN7151

There are still three main tracks and two siding tracks left in DG Yard. I rarely see trains tied up there anymore. Is the siding trackage derelict or is it still used occasionally?

#9246  by bones

It's been many years since a scoot tied up there. When I was there 11450 used to get in the clear there no and then. I believe that there was, or is a lumber company there.

#9591  by BN7151

Yes, Hines Lumber Co. has a spur off of one of the siding tracks.

#14841  by Engineer Spike

In my time the yard was mostly used by the local servicing the lumber yard.
Just to correct your wording, Norhtwestern had scoots, we had dinkies.
I have never heard a Q man call a suburban train a scoot.

#43946  by AmtrakFan

BN7151,
I can help you with this I live in DG they were used for Commuter Service but Closed in 1952 then eveything went to Aurora the Yard was used for Zone Express here's how they worked one Train Served eveything up until Congress Park then one took Eveything form LaGrandge to DG Main then they had another which took Eveything from Belmont to Aurora I could be wrong but I'm pretty Sure this is Right.

AmtrakFan

#46661  by Engineer Spike

Was there a round house there? If not, did the power deadhead to either Clyde or Aurora?

#47175  by AmtrakFan

Engineer Spike wrote:Was there a round house there? If not, did the power deadhead to either Clyde or Aurora?
Yes there was a Roundhouse There Mr. Spike.

AmtrakFan
Last edited by AmtrakFan on Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#92598  by Hambone

It's been a while, but you can still see the bricks from the top of the tower all around the base, after they tore it down, they just left the debris!
I've got a couple pics of the Hines Lumber siding with a freight car or 2. I also have one of a tank car, wonder what that was doing down there?
That was a really busy place at one time. I talked to a BN employee years ago, and he confirmed what you guys said above.
Is the BN Track Dept still located in a small trailer there, or is that gone?

#96721  by AmtrakFan

Hambone wrote: Is the BN Track Dept still located in a small trailer there, or is that gone?
Yes it still is there as of Jan 05.

#99726  by Engineer Spike

Yes AmtakFan I do know how to spell there, thier, and they're. I even know thEIR uses. I am sory about my typing error, thERE in my last post. As for the members of the forum, I hope that thEY'RE willing to forgive me!

#99766  by AmtrakFan

Engineer Spike wrote:Yes AmtakFan I do know how to spell there, thier, and they're. I even know thEIR uses. I am sory about my typing error, thERE in my last post. As for the members of the forum, I hope that thEY'RE willing to forgive me!
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well did you maybe think I'm bad at Grammer Mr. Spike. Note I didn't Fail English.