Railroad Forums 

• Downeaster Trackwork & Upgrades

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1608960  by MEC407

I've recently heard from three different sources that CSX eventually wants to double track the mainline from the Massachusetts-New Hampshire state line all the way to Royal Junction. If this is true — and I don't know if it is — it would be fantastic news for both freight rail and passenger rail. NNEPRA could add more trains and reduce running time.
 #1608964  by MEC407

I was fairly stunned when I heard it, and it could very well be the usual railroaders-playing-tricks-on-railfans type of rumor... but it's an exciting thought.
 #1608968  by MEC407

Royal Junction is at CPF 185, just east of Greely Road on the Cumberland/Yarmouth town line. It's where the Brunswick Branch (former MEC Lower Road) meets the Freight Mainline (former MEC Back Road). It is named for the nearby Royal River.
Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 10.00.18.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 10.00.18.png (423.18 KiB) Viewed 1351 times
 #1609014  by BobbyT

I wonder if they even still own/retain enough of the RoW to be able to build a double track railroad. Seems like there are certain places along the line where there may no longer be the space.
 #1609022  by MEC407

There has been some encroachment in certain spots but the railroad still owns the entire ROW. The folks who encroached will have to get out of the way.
 #1609026  by swist

MEC407 - thanks for your detailed reply. On some railroad forums people who are not "in the know" don't get treated very well.
 #1609038  by MEC407

You're welcome!

Speaking of junctions, this map also shows Yarmouth Junction, which is where the Brunswick Branch (MEC Lower Road) meets the former St. Lawrence & Atlantic mainline (ex-CN, ex-Grand Trunk, now owned by the State of Maine).
Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 10.00.18.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 10.00.18.png (427.3 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
 #1609063  by BobbyT

One place I can think of where I recall seeing some encroachment is up at Old Orchard Beach. Pretty sure some structures would need to be moved in order to squeeze a second track through that corridor with all the hotels, restaurants, parking lots, etc being right up against the RoW.
 #1609065  by F74265A

Some busy double track mains still have the occasional short section of single track. For example, I understand that the bnsf transcon still has a couple of short single track sections at some river bridges. So, if this ever happens, maybe it is not 100 percent 2 tracks. Unless government puts up big $ to do this, I don’t see it unless csx has plans for sneaky big increases in tonnage. With adequate, lengthy sidings, quite a bit of volume can move on single track ctc. Perhaps more sidings are added first.
 #1609066  by newpylong

Yep, there are inevitably going to be some sections that can't be reasonably double tracked. If there's enough double iron on either side they should not be too much of a bottleneck. That said, I personally don't see the tonnage or number of trains even including Amtrak that would warrant wholesale double tracking. I could see some additional track put back in but not all of it.
 #1609068  by Cosakita18

Fully continuous double track seems like a reach....but there are definitely some relatively easy gaps to fill that would dramatically improve capacity between Plaistow and Royal.

Building ~15 miles of new double iron to connect Wells and Ocean Park would create 24 miles of continuous double track. The RoW is well preserved through Kennebunk and even through Biddeford/Saco. (Although that would probably involve a rebuild of the platforms at the Saco Transit Center)

Another ~15 miles would connect Plaistow to Rockingham Junction with continuous double track.

East of Rigby, There's just 3 miles separating the passing siding in Riverton and the new Royal Junction double track.

I really can't see CSX pushing for fully continuous double iron all the way. Getting the RoW cleared and rebuilt through Portland, Old Orchard and Dover would be a nightmare....There's no way there would be enough traffic to justify that kind of investment...unless CSX really see's the possibility of running multiple daily intermodal jobs to Saint John and NNEPRA wants the Downeaster to make 10+ roundtrips daily.