• Downeast Scenic Railroad (DSRX) Discussion - 2005-2010

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by b&m 1566

Were they able to roll it up onto a flat bet or did the trucks have to be removed? Are there any pictures?
  by MEC&BAR

The trucks were removed. They jacked it up and lowered it onto a flat bed.
I have some photos, I will be posting them on Nerail soon.
  by b&m 1566

I see they made some modifications under each coupler, what was the reasoning for this?
  by dtouellet

This past Saturday the 1055 made its first trip from Washington Junction to Ellsworth Falls and back. The 1055 pulled 2 freight cars and a caboose. The train attracted lots of interest as it made its way through Ellsworth. I rode in the caboose with several railroad volunteers. The train crew did an excellent job, everything seemed to go very smoothly. I want to thank the train crew for a very enjoyable ride!
  by Otto Vondrak

dtouellet wrote:This past Saturday the 1055 made its first trip from Washington Junction to Ellsworth Falls and back...
Pictures! Pictures!!!
  by dtouellet

I don't have any pictures of the train in Ellsworth but I know that several were taken. I've taken some photos at Washington Junction but I haven't figured out how to upload them to the web yet.

Also there was a nice article in the Bangor Daily News today regarding the Downeast Scenic Railroad. It stated that many railroad crossings in the Ellsworth area are now in full operation after being exempt for years. The article also stated that the Downeast Scenic Railroad would begin passenger operation in the near future. Great news for railfans and visitors to Downeast Maine. The volunteers who have worked on this railroad for several years have done amazing work! If you are a railfan traveling in the area check this railroad out.
  by b&m 1566

Is there an opening date set yet; I’ve been hearing July 10th and 24th? I’ve been checking the website regularly and haven’t seen any such postings.
  by dtouellet

Keep checking the railroad's web page. I'm sure details will be posted as soon as they finalized. I know the railroad is working very hard to get running as soon as possible.

I drove by Washington Junction today to show the wife the locomotives and passenger cars and she gave them a thumbs up. She thought they looked good. Trust me this has not always been the case.
  by b&m 1566

I noticed the website had a press release informing the public that the line would be going active at 12:01pm on June 26, 2010. Was this required by the FRA or merely a courtesy notice to advise the public that the line is now active?
  by bml1149

Good afternoon,
We did publish the notice as a courtesy, as it has been nearly 25 years since the line has seen any activity.
Leverett Fernald
  by calaisbranch

I was never one to get excited about passenger/museum type operations until the first words were mentioned of an operation being discussed on the Ellsworth- Brewer section of the old Calais Branch. Now, we're only days away from a media run and the official opening run of the Downeast Scenic the following Saturday!
If things work out, my camera will be busy for both trains. Here's the most recent clip from the Bangor Daily News.....

http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/149299.html

J Bray
  by b&m 1566

I'll be heading up to Bar Harbor for the week on July 31 so I'll miss the inaugural run but I sure hope to be on one of the August 1st departures.
  by dtouellet

Looking forward to this weekend. I'm sure the crew will do a great job and the train ride will be a first class operation. If you are visiting the Ellsworth-Bar Harbor area this summer on a weekend be sure to stop and take a ride on the DSRR.
  by MEC407

Coverage of the inaugural run in the Bangor Daily News:

http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/149511.html
By Eric Russell - BDN Staff
ELLSWORTH, Maine — As conductor Gary Briggs yelled “all aboard” and passengers began to fill the cars, the train’s engine chugged to life, followed by a plume of gray smoke billowing from the locomotive stack. The Downeast Scenic Railroad, a four-year labor of love for dozens of rail enthusiasts, made its inaugural run Saturday for volunteers and other guests who helped see the project through.

Congratulations to all who helped make it happen! There were a few people who said it would never get past the initial planning stages; boy were they wrong!
  by thebigham

Congratulations!!!!