• Downeast Scenic Railroad (DSRX) Discussion - 2005-2010

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by jwhite07

This is fantastic... I moved to the Ellsworth area in 1981, but sadly was too young to pursue railfanning the Calais Branch before it was abandoned. I moved away again in 1990 to attend college, but I still consider Ellsworth my hometown and I still have family in the area. I am very much looking forward to taking a ride on my next trip back home in August!
  by atsf sp

Great job on getting this up and running. Once I get back from college next year, I will be sure to take a trip up there.
  by MEC407

It's too bad that Larry's Bakery in Ellsworth is no longer in business... that would've been the perfect place to grab some delicious goodies before or after a train ride, and it was right next to the tracks. I have fond memories of going in there as a little kid with my grandfather and getting dinner rolls and ginger bread cookies. I would always look over at the tracks and wonder if a train was coming. Larry's is gone, but I'm so glad the trains have returned!
  by Cosmo

MEC407 wrote:It's too bad that Larry's Bakery in Ellsworth is no longer in business... that would've been the perfect place to grab some delicious goodies before or after a train ride, and it was right next to the tracks. I have fond memories of going in there as a little kid with my grandfather and getting dinner rolls and ginger bread cookies. I would always look over at the tracks and wonder if a train was coming. Larry's is gone, but I'm so glad the trains have returned!
I remember that place!
I used to go over there with the ladies from the blueberry factory when I still worked at Allen's.
To bad I don't still work there, it'd be great to have watched the trackwork from behind the freezer plant.
  by b&m 1566

I got to ride the Downeast Scenic on August 1st, in the Caboose for the 1:30 departure. The train was maybe two or three tickets shy from being sold out, a pleasant surprises for the crew who never expected such a turn out. 54 was the engine for the day, which I was a little bumped out about as I was hoping it would be 1055. The crew does a nice narration explaining the history of the Calais Branch, talking about the local communities, points of interest and the history of the Downeast Scenic Railroad. As for scenery the best part is between Ellsworth and Washington Junction. The line goes through some wetlands with about three or four eagle nests; we were lucky enough to see one in the nest and another one flying around. At the end of the trip anyone who wanted too had the chance to go inside the cab of 54, talk to the engineer, sit and take pictures; it was during this time I learned that 1055 was not being used because its time had run out and needs its inspection. It was good to see 1055 again basking in the sun at Washington Junction but felt awkward seeing it there and not in North Conway.
  by calaisbranch

b&m 1566 wrote:I got to ride the Downeast Scenic on August 1st, in the Caboose for the 1:30 departure. The train was maybe two or three tickets shy from being sold out, a pleasant surprises for the crew who never expected such a turn out. 54 was the engine for the day, which I was a little bumped out about as I was hoping it would be 1055. The crew does a nice narration explaining the history of the Calais Branch, talking about the local communities, points of interest and the history of the Downeast Scenic Railroad. As for scenery the best part is between Ellsworth and Washington Junction. The line goes through some wetlands with about three or four eagle nests; we were lucky enough to see one in the nest and another one flying around. At the end of the trip anyone who wanted too had the chance to go inside the cab of 54, talk to the engineer, sit and take pictures; it was during this time I learned that 1055 was not being used because its time had run out and needs its inspection. It was good to see 1055 again basking in the sun at Washington Junction but felt awkward seeing it there and not in North Conway.
They, DESR, will indeed be running the 1055, alternating with the 54. I was also kind of bummed it didn't run the first weekend. I was out both days photographing the moves. When it was over, I was quite pumped to have the pics and video in the neighborhoods of Ellsworth. The coach, in particular, was jam packed both times with quite a good turnout on the open-air as well. Something I thought I'd never see when coming up from CT in the late 80s and 90s!
  by MEC407

I think it's fitting that 54 was the first locomotive to pull a revenue train, since it was the first locomotive they acquired. That said, it will definitely be good to see the 1055 running in Maine again. :-D
  by jwhite07

I took a ride on August 14. 54 was the power again this past weekend (I was told they had hoped to use 1055 on the 15th, but I think I saw 54 again when I drove past the train on the way home Sunday).

I had a fantastic time, as did four non-railfan family members who came along for the ride with me. The Downeast Scenic crew put on a great and thoroughly enjoyable trip. The trip I was on was very well patronized, and seemed to be mostly vacationers and families with children, not just railfans. The entire crew was friendly, informative and entertaining the whole time. They all deserve credit for making the trip a memorable one. Kudos especially to Conductor Gary Briggs, who was really great with all of the kids on board, and who spoke with me and my family several times during the trip, pointing out things like the old date nails still in the ties near the station, and also to Train Attendant Carolyn Ackerman, who had done a lot of the painting and cleaning in coach 123 (which looked great!!) and attended to the needs of all the passengers throughout the trip. Carolyn and her husband Joel (also a DSRX volunteer) are long time friends of my wife's family, but that doesn't bias my praise for the great work they have done!

I should note, being accustomed to the rather, umm, enthusiastic, method of locomotive coupling that seemed standard practice back in engine change days in New Haven (BANG! Good hitch!), I had unconsciously braced myself for the whack as the locomotive coupled back onto the train after running around at Lakes Lane, but the Downeast Scenic engineer tied back on with just the barest of a jolt. Very nice. :-)

All in all, a great ride, very much worth it, and one which will hopefully get even better next year if they can get all the way to Green Lake by then. I highly recommend taking the ride, if you should find yourself in the Ellsworth area.
  by kilroy

but the Downeast Scenic engineer tied back on with just the barest of a jolt
Obviously a freight engineer.
  by b&m 1566

Has 1055 made its first revenue run yet?
  by downeaster

1055 made her first run today, Sunday. She was the power for both the morning run and this afternoons run, it was sure nice to see her on the DSRX. She looked great and ran the same, a great day.
  by dtouellet

The 1055 ran again on Sunday, Sept. 26. I was eating breakfast at Denny's when I saw her go by. If you get a window booth, you get a great view of the train going by.

I had a really great day on Saturday being a trainee brakeman working with Bill and Allen. Learned a lot, and have a whole lot more to learn. We were using the 54. The DSRX is a great place to volunteer if your interested in railroads. :-D
  by MEC407

Wish I lived downeast -- for a number of reasons, not the least of which would be the volunteer opportunities at Downeast Scenic!