• Double Tracking at Neshaminy Falls

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#455721  by amtrakhogger

Conrail single tracked the Short Line/New York Branch in 1986 as a
means to separate freight traffic from passenger traffic. In essence
CR created a single track line from CP Cheltenham to CP Wood with a
passing siding on the Short Line at CP Nesh/Berry.
I don't think CSX is in the mood to double track anything since they pushed SEPTA to "single" track the Trenton Sub. between CP Cheltenham
and NX (Newtown Jct) allowing seamless running without interference of passenger trains.
CSX could double track in future since the row between Cheltenham and
Neshaminy is wide enough for two tracks and from Neshaminy and Yardley (where the row is wide enough for four tracks.)
CSX still (FWIK) would like to further single track the Trenton Sub from
CP Wood to CP Trent to completely eliminate any intermingling of
freight and passenger trains.

#455731  by Irish Chieftain

Intermingling? Where does SEPTA run on the NY Short Line…? The Royal Blue hasn't run since the late 50s; NJT hasn't run to West Trenton since the early 80s.

CR and CSX would remove tracks only to save money. That's the only reason.
 #455867  by amtrakhogger

Irish Chieftain wrote:Intermingling? Where does SEPTA run on the NY Short Line…? The Royal Blue hasn't run since the late 50s; NJT hasn't run to West Trenton since the early 80s.

CR and CSX would remove tracks only to save money. That's the only reason.
I was not referring to passenger service on the Short Line but rather where Septa and CR/CSX share or have shared trackage in the past.

#456278  by glennk419

With the relatively new connection between the ex-RDG Trenton Line and the ex-PRR Trenton Cutoff (CP Lang?), I don't see how they will ever totally separate passenger and freight operations between Woodbourne and West Trenton. It would also require a significant reconfiguration of the West Trenton storage yard and I'm not sure there's enough room on the west side of the ROW for a new yard anyway.

#456707  by JimBoylan

glennk419 wrote:With the relatively new connection between the ex-RDG Trenton Line and the ex-PRR Trenton Cutoff (CP Lang?), I don't see how they will ever totally separate passenger and freight operations between Woodbourne and West Trenton.
Since this new connection now joins the CSXT Trenton line with the NS Trenton Cutoff (Morrisville line), it doesn't see much business unless the loads won't fit elsewhere. CSXT has refused to use it when the ex-Reading Fairless Branch in the opposite quadrant of the crossing is out of service; they just let the cars between Woodbourne and Morrisville get delayed.
Long ago, there was an older "S" shaped connection on the other side of the Reading line, it ran through what are now highway interchanges and industrial parks and delivered trains in the same directions as the new connection can today.

#462428  by colincrow13

Read this about Neshaminy Falls:
During a recent trip to Neshaminy Falls Station, a few workers were seen looking over the right of way and taking pictures. When asked, one responded that CSX was thinking about putting back the double track from CP Nesh to a switch connecting the CSX Trenton Line with the SEPTA Neshaminy Line Track 2, a configuration that existed in Reading days into the Conrail era until Conrail removed it in the mid-1980's.

#493355  by limejuice

glennk419 wrote:With the relatively new connection between the ex-RDG Trenton Line and the ex-PRR Trenton Cutoff (CP Lang?), I don't see how they will ever totally separate passenger and freight operations between Woodbourne and West Trenton. It would also require a significant reconfiguration of the West Trenton storage yard and I'm not sure there's enough room on the west side of the ROW for a new yard anyway.
After CSX completes fixing the overhead clearances on their Trenton Sub, will there be a need for the connection, or do they interchange freight with NS here?

#493365  by glennk419

limejuice wrote:
glennk419 wrote:With the relatively new connection between the ex-RDG Trenton Line and the ex-PRR Trenton Cutoff (CP Lang?), I don't see how they will ever totally separate passenger and freight operations between Woodbourne and West Trenton. It would also require a significant reconfiguration of the West Trenton storage yard and I'm not sure there's enough room on the west side of the ROW for a new yard anyway.
After CSX completes fixing the overhead clearances on their Trenton Sub, will there be a need for the connection, or do they interchange freight with NS here?
I would think that the connection will stay intact as a detour route. I am not aware of any interchange traffic at that point.