Railroad Forums 

• Double-stack trash

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1562389  by PBMcGinnis

Republic Services is involved in the following 3:
1) Trash out of Holyoke going to CSX at Rotterdam, NY in blue containers. This business has ceased and is now moving out of Springfield directly on CSX
2) They own Devens Recycling and Devens ships Construction and Demolition debris in gondolas out of their siding to landfills in Ohio and elsewhere
3) They own the blue containers that are loaded at the Ayer Intermodal ramp. This is trash, and it moves via CSX to a landfill out in Ohio as well.

4)That leaves the "Maersk" and other ex-ocean containers that are seen over at the old 'Ayer 1" Ford Auto Facility. Arrowhead is the name of the operation there and those double stacks ex-40' ISO boxes with soft top covers go to their own landfill down in Alabama.
 #1584825  by NellsChoo

So the nice blue containers are NOT related to the stinky ex-containers? Does anyone know the name of the company handling the ex-container cars in Ayer? I can't find any listing of a company working out of that area.

#1584833  by johnpbarlow

The re-purposed Maersk containers get shipped to an Arrowhead owned landfill in Alabama so I think Pan Am crews refer to the old Ford facility as Arrowhead, as well. But I could be wrong…
 #1584914  by BandA

I was working at a biotech company some time ago. In the normal case, the reagents, some of which are toxic chemicals, got used up. But in the testing process they used small amounts of lots of chemicals, and these would expire and they couldn't use expired materials. So they put the expired pint bottles of chemicals in a yellow cabinet and when the cabinet was full they would give it to a specialty disposal company that would take it to another state, and start a new cabinet. I think they incinerated the chemicals but I don't know, maybe they are in a special lined landfill like that one in Alabama. I doubt that they individually neutralized each partial pint bottle.