Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#255111  by Love Train

"Brooklyn-bound [A] trains run on the F from West 4 to Jay Sts
Weekend, 11 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon until Jul 3"

From MTA website.

"Downtown trains run local from 59 to West 4 Sts
Weekend, 11 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon until Jul 3
(normal service Jun 9 - 12)"

From MTA website.

If the A trains are not running local between 59th and W 4th (hence "normal service Jun 9 - 12"), how can they switch over to the 6th Av tracks from the 8th Av tracks?

Must be a mistake in one of them.

#255141  by umtrr-author

Isn't there a junction just below (south of) West 4th Street that allows switching from the Sixth Avenue to the Eighth Avenue lines, and vice versa?

I thought that was maybe what they were getting at.

#255155  by Love Train

umtrr-author wrote:Isn't there a junction just below (south of) West 4th Street that allows switching from the Sixth Avenue to the Eighth Avenue lines, and vice versa?

I thought that was maybe what they were getting at.
Yes, there is. But only between the 8th and 6th Av local tracks.

The second advisory states that downtown A trains are running local form 59th to West 4th Sts because they have to be on the local track to switch over to the 6th Av line. However, it says "normal service Jun 9 - 12". However, it does not say the same thing for the first advisory. So which one is correct and which one isn't? That is my question.

#255359  by Phil Hom

59th Street, West 4th, and Jay Street are the locations where the 8th Ave and 6th Ave /Houston Street services can cross over.

11 Jun is father's day. Is that a factor?

#255434  by Love Train

Phil Hom wrote:59th Street, West 4th, and Jay Street are the locations where the 8th Ave and 6th Ave /Houston Street services can cross over.

11 Jun is father's day. Is that a factor?
No, the service advisory states that all Brooklyn bound A trains will run on the F from West 4th St to Jay St. This means they will have to run on the 8th Av local track from 59th St-CC to West 4th St.

#255444  by pennsy

Hi,

We were discussing, at one time, top speeds for the subway trains. As I was just reminded, from 59th st to 125th st. on the A train, IND line, there were no stops and the train ran at top speed. So, anyone guess what the top speed of the A train was between those stations? I will venture a guess that you were well over 50 mph, but under 80 mph. How does 65 mph sound to you ?

#255460  by Love Train

pennsy wrote:Hi,

We were discussing, at one time, top speeds for the subway trains. As I was just reminded, from 59th st to 125th st. on the A train, IND line, there were no stops and the train ran at top speed. So, anyone guess what the top speed of the A train was between those stations? I will venture a guess that you were well over 50 mph, but under 80 mph. How does 65 mph sound to you ?
65? Ha! Yeah, 65 sounds right...minus 30!

The Central Park West express is the slowest in the system. There are so many timers that slow the train down.

In fact, if a C or B and a D or A arrive at Columbus Circle at the same time, and leave at the same time, there is a good chance that the C or B will arrive at 125th St BEFORE the A or D. This is quite common. The Central Park West express is so slow because there are so many useless timers. It is quite a shame, because it used to be one of the system's great express runs.