Railroad Forums 

• Does RTC/CTC use signals to pace trains?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#243654  by ENR3870

Jaap, I think you may have APPROACH confused with APPROACH MEDIUM.

#243655  by fjcaron

Renegate, that the type of car you drive? Or, is the brand of train you run?
DutchRailnut wrote:I never claim to know it all , and always willing to learn, specialy when wild claims are made from a renegate like yourself.

#243662  by DutchRailnut

No Tyler I ment Approach the definition is from NORAC.

and from wikipedia:
renegade

Etymology
from Spanish renegado, from Medieval Latin renegatus, perfect participle of renegare, to deny

Noun
renegade

an outlaw or rebel

Retrieved from "http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/renegade"

#243706  by jg greenwood

DutchRailnut wrote:No Tyler I ment Approach the definition is from NORAC.

and from wikipedia:
renegade

Etymology
from Spanish renegado, from Medieval Latin renegatus, perfect participle of renegare, to deny

Noun
renegade

an outlaw or rebel

Retrieved from "http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/renegade"
Mr. Nut,
Only you would present us with the definition of a word you originally misspelled. We're well aware of what a renegaDe is. Maybe you can enlighten me as to why I'm a renegade? As usual, you'll have all the answers. The GCOR contains no signals whatsoever, contrary to your previous post. Both the UP and the BNSF operate as per the GCOR. IIRC, both have different requirements for complying with an approach signal.

#243710  by DutchRailnut

ok typo happy now , micro cluster F**king

#243711  by jg greenwood

DutchRailnut wrote:ok typo happy now , micro cluster F**king
Mr. Nut,
By resorting to name-calling, you're proving my point. Thanks Mr. NUT! :-D

#243729  by CROR410

UPRR engineer wrote:Are you talking about slack action with the train itself? or trains catching up to the one ahead of it?
I am talking about trains catching up to the one ahead of it.

#243731  by CROR410

UPRR engineer wrote:Hey CROR410? Was your question more like how does CTC differ from ABS only?
I'm well aware of the differences between the two, and really my question would be a ABS function, and not a CTC question. The only reason I used CTC/ABS in my subject line is because the two are really integrated together in the logic in the computers that are used to today.

In Britian they use double yellows for the high speed trains, and over here there is a lot of debate about getting trains to run more steadily in congested areas. With the price of fuel these days the more slowing down / speeding up a train does, the more costly it becomes......thus my query about having an aspect to tell the engineeer to slow the train only slightly so that it doesn't increase the distance between it and the head train so that it continues to get either 'Clear' or 'Clear Minus 5' all the way versus getting 60/45/60/45/60/45 MPH along the way.

#243806  by David Benton

do they not do that by radio ? I.e the despatcher tell the enginner to pull out at slow speed , rather than wait for a better signal ? Asuming the signal is giving the engineer authority to proceed in the first place .

#245853  by Engineer Spike

One point of confusion here is the definitions of CTC and ABS. In NORAC, ther is no CTC. It is ABS with interlocking limits. CROR and GCOR have CTC vs. ABS. The ABS signals on one track may be for traffic in one direction, or both directions. In GCOR, two tracks, each signaled in one direction, is defined as double track.
CP now has instituted "Pacing" The Dispatcher is supposed to tell the crew of a delay. The train is supposed to slow down. This is to save fuel. At night, I sometimes look forward to getting to the meeting point. This is in order to get a power nap. Sometimes this is not practical, as I want to make sure to be in the clear. I wouldn't want to delay a passenger, or high priority train.
I agree with the others, the signal system keeps the trains properly spaced. If there is a slow train ahead, I slow down. It is safer than the possibility of having to stop at every signal. We have to call the signals. This is a good way of knowing where the train is ahead. This way I don't catch his yellows, nor do I slow too much.

#250511  by CROR410

Engineer Spike wrote:CP now has instituted "Pacing" The Dispatcher is supposed to tell the crew of a delay. The train is supposed to slow down. This is to save fuel.
I agree with the others, the signal system keeps the trains properly spaced. If there is a slow train ahead, I slow down. It is safer than the possibility of having to stop at every signal. We have to call the signals. This is a good way of knowing where the train is ahead. This way I don't catch his yellows, nor do I slow too much.
So essentially you are getting your 'clear minus 5' from the dispatcher versus the signal. :-)

#250714  by GN 599

On the UP they have an Advanced Approach whereas on the BNSF we called a Approach Medium but its the same signal.