Railroad Forums 

• DL&W Books - Western NY

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#40796  by scottychaos

(I asked this question before, but it must have been on the "old" railroad.net, because I cant find the thread now!
so I will just ask again..)

Are there any DL&W books that are aware that the railroad extended West of Scranton?! ;)
I just got "DL&W in Color" (no "volume #"..so I guess it must be "volume 1")
great book! has some coverage of Binghamton, then a few photos of Waverly..then we skip straight to Buffalo!
the book is still 90% east of Scranton.
no offence to youse Joiseyites, but I have no interest in NJ commuter operations! ;)
any books have Western NY coverage?
Waverly,
Elmira,
Dansville.
Groveland station.
etc..

I have yet to see an actual photo of Groveland station! ever! :o
thanks!
Scot
 #40804  by henry6

THERE ARE SEVERAL BOOKS ON THE DL&W AVAILABLE: TABERS'. "D...L...AND WES... IN THE 19TH CENTURY" AND "D..L...AND WEST...IN THE 20TH CENT. " VOL I AND VOL II.; SHELDEN KING'S "ROUTE OF PHOEBE SNOW", AND CASEY'S "LACKAWANNA STORY". PLUS PICTURE BOOKS. CHECK BOOK STORES, HOBBY SHOPS, FAN MAGS, ANTIQUE SHOPS, ETC.

#41027  by Tri-State Tom

To further henry's thoughts Scotty, would add Larry DeYoung's 'Erie-Lackawanna - NY State' for perhaps more relavant history up your way.

Larry is an Erie fan so his work sometimes favors the E in E-L but still a great overall source.

#60288  by rls62

There's an excellent book titled "Railroads in and around Dansville, NY", which covers the DL&W, PS&N, and DM&M. It's available in the Monroe County public library. It's very detailed with interesting anecdotes and the histories behind the respective railroads.

#101367  by calorosome

I know all of these books (my father has them) and there still are precious few pics of DL&W west of Elmira. Other than a few points, it seems to be a 200 mile gap that has seen little press.

#101774  by scottychaos

I just got "'Erie-Lackawanna - NY State'
good book!
but is 99% ex-Erie lines..
(and it seems to cover mostly LATE EL..the DL lines were gone)
a bit on the EL in Bath (DL&W)
but still..very little on the DL&W mainline between Waverly-Buffalo.

im going to try and get the big Thomas Taber DL&W volumes..
I have heard that the Steamtown giftshop has them!
maybe they will have more on this mysterious mainline..

Im planning on doing a tour on the remains of the Groveland station yard.
I walked out the DMM last summer to the Wye, but the mosquitos chased me away before I could see much..
I will try again this spring, early, before skeeter season..

Scot

#101835  by calorosome

I saw that Big Flats station in '99. A newspaper article said that a private owner bought it and he was going to move the building and restore it.

Judging from the 2003 pics on that website, he wasn't successful. When I saw the station it still had a roof, now the roof is gone.

Scotty, the Taber books sadly come up short on western DL&W action. But every DL&W fan should have the Taber books. Steamtown has a very good bookstore, no doubt they would have the Taber set.

#102157  by JoeG

Steamtown's bookstore does have the Taber books. That's where I got my set.

#102165  by pdman

rls62, Thanks for the link. Great commentary and picture. I downloaded the picture, because that station is a neat one for pen and ink sketching. I know I passed it many times in the 50s without knowing or remembering it. Thanks.