Railroad Forums 

• DL&W and Dansville & Mt. Morris RR wye at Groveland

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#347322  by jonathanhuyck

Hi all,
Does anyone have any info. about the wye junction at Groveland Station where the D&MM connects to the DL&W? I've been there a couple of times in the past few months, and I'm curious about the history. I can't find any photos online. The line to Dansville is in use, and passenger cars are taken to Dansville for refurbishing at the former Foster Wheeler site. The entire wye is intact, although most of it is long unused. There are still a few tracks in place that are remnants of the DL&W yard there, East of where the D&MM splits off the former DL&W main. Some good sized trees are growing in the middle of some of the tracks! There is a large concrete structure next to the wye, now surrounded by woods. The building once had windows all of the way around it. It is approx. 30'x60'. There are also three large concrete platforms next to the building that appear to have supported water towers at one point. I also found what appears to be an old concrete pit that once had rails over it for dumping out steam loco ash pans or something to that effect. I even found 4-5 old steel pails that have "D.L.&W.R.R." printed on them. I took the best one home! I've only visited this site in early Spring and Winter, so I imagine a lot of the site is obscured in the warmer months. It appears that a lot of activity one took place here. Does anyone know anything about it? Thanks!

#347343  by scottychaos

Johnathan,
check out this thread for a detailed discussion..you will find a lot of info there!

http://www.lalrailfan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=89

Let me know if my maps are not opening..
sometimes Imageshack gets finicky.
If they dont open in that thread, I will re-post them here.

Scot
 #347360  by henry6

Interesting maps, Scotty...I take it the wye was originally for turning pushers on the eastbound grade. Therefore, did the D&MM ever wye onto the DL&W or did it just branch off?

#347363  by jonathanhuyck

Scot,
Thanks for the info.! It's too bad there aren't any more photos of the area available. It sounds like it would have been a great place to hang out and watch the action! Since I'm 29, I never had the chance to see the former great RRs of Western NY, but I certainly enjoy exploring where they were.
-Jonathan

#347812  by TB Diamond

The area described in the first post of this thread was the service facility for the DL&W Dansville Hill steam helper engines. As late as 1973 the engine house still was extant, but in derelict condition. The E-L Groveland turn used the wye to turn its power when returning to Buffalo. The D&MtM utilized the wye to interchange cars with the E-L at Groveland.
 #494732  by erie2521

Back in the 1950's, someone told me that the D&MM was permitted to use one leg of the Y at Groveland to interchange cars but if they used the rest of it to turn their locomotives around, it cost them a dollar. Can anybody verify or refute this?