Railroad Forums 

• Dinky Pivot Bridge Question

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#190197  by kpiersol

Does anyone know the date the pivot bridge was built over the D&R canal in the Princeton Basin (off of Alexander Road)? I would imagine it coincided with the building of the now NJT line from Princeton Junction to Princeton, since the canal was there first??

#190901  by Diamond_D

I don't have a picture, but I think I remember taking a canoe on the canal underneath and seeing a date. Sorry I have no clue what it was though!

#191241  by Lackawanna484

The 1865 bridge over the canal was replaced in 1905, when the line was doubletracked.

(thus spaketh Pennsy Triumph, vol 5)

#191317  by TAMR213

Lackawanna484 wrote:The 1865 bridge over the canal was replaced in 1905, when the line was doubletracked.

(thus spaketh Pennsy Triumph, vol 5)
Great book and resource. If you see it around, I HIGHLY suggest it.
 #191361  by pumpers

Trainlawyer, which side of the canal are you recollecting
for the tracks you mentioned. The south/east or north/west? I think the original PRR was on the south/east,
and later the Reading built north from Trenton on the north/west
side of the canal. I'm not sure how far north the Reading got -- certainly
not as far as Princeton -- maybe to the 2nd (the southest/wester) crossing of the canal by Route 1.
JS

A while ago you mentioned a mile marker of the old Princeton
Branch on the princeton campus -- where dorms were built
in 1930's or so -- and the branch was cut back . Saw it last week!

#191646  by SPUI

This 1938 map and this 1956 map show the branch of the Bel-Del (northwest side of the canal) reaching Carnegie Road. The Reading, northwest of the Bel-Del branch, only got just past Whitehead Road.

I haven't found any maps showing the original grade (southeast side) going even to Whitehead Road after the new alignment opened. As for the northern section, I haven't seen anything south of Kingston (where the Rocky Hill Railroad continued along the east side to Rocky Hill).