Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#187645  by Mare Nostrum

The F is historically associated with the Culver Line. But I have it planted deep in my brain that at least some F trains leading up to the 1967 changes were somehow runniing on the Brighton Line, though perhaps not all the way down to Stillwell. Wasn't Kings Highway an occasional terminus for something -- that wasn't the F, was it?

Am I nuts?

M.N.

#187701  by orangeline

I have a copy of a pre-unification IND system map which shows the F as running between Parsons Blvd and Church Ave. At this time D trains ran between 205 St and Hudson Terminal. I know that when the IND was extended to include the Culver line, D trains used that route. It may be that in the early thru mid 1950s F trains were run on the Brighton line, although I'm not 100% sure. By 1968 F trains were back on their original route including the Culver line and D trains were run on the Brighton line.
 #187703  by Allan

Mare Nostrum wrote:The F is historically associated with the Culver Line. But I have it planted deep in my brain that at least some F trains leading up to the 1967 changes were somehow runniing on the Brighton Line, though perhaps not all the way down to Stillwell. Wasn't Kings Highway an occasional terminus for something -- that wasn't the F, was it?

Am I nuts?

M.N.
The F has never run in regular service on the Brighton. Prior to the 1967 changes the F terminated at either 34th St/6th Av or 2nd Avenue.

At one point in the 1970's and 1980's there was F express service in Brooklyn during rush hours. The local F trains terminated at Kings Highway - on the Culver line - while the express trains went local from that point into Stillwell Avenue.

As for "Am I nuts?" Only you can answer that.

#187713  by Allan

orangeline wrote:I have a copy of a pre-unification IND system map which shows the F as running between Parsons Blvd and Church Ave. At this time D trains ran between 205 St and Hudson Terminal. I know that when the IND was extended to include the Culver line, D trains used that route. It may be that in the early thru mid 1950s F trains were run on the Brighton line, although I'm not 100% sure. By 1968 F trains were back on their original route including the Culver line and D trains were run on the Brighton line.
Prior to 1954 there was no IND service in BMT territory (Culver, Brighton, Sea Beach, West End). The IND was not connected to the Culver line until October 30, 1954. That is when the D was given the route.

reference link:

http://members.aol.com/bdmnqr2/linehistory.html (scroll down for IND lines).

#190196  by Phil Hom

The "F" south terminal was 34th and 6th on weekends and Broadway- Lafayette on weekdays. Second Ave was not a normal south terminal.

After Nov 1967, the relay tracks at Broadway-Lafayette was used for access to the Manhattan Bridge.

#190354  by Allan

Phil Hom wrote:The "F" south terminal was 34th and 6th on weekends and Broadway- Lafayette on weekdays. Second Ave was not a normal south terminal.

After Nov 1967, the relay tracks at Broadway-Lafayette was used for access to the Manhattan Bridge.
According to the 1958 map 2nd Avenue was the terminal Monday to Friday during rush hours. During 6 AM to Midnight non-rush hours the trains would go to either 34th/6th or 2nd Avenue. From midnight to 6AM the F would terminate at 34th/6th.

I don't have the 1961 edition handy but trains were probably extended to Broadway-Layafette around that time.